menvier TS690 Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh I geddit you fitted a basic system probably around £80 cost price for a wired. and your chap agreed to a monitoring contract.. fair enough. He did do the monitoring contract though even if you didn't load it.
Cant fault that.
Yaleguy3

We don't all occupy your cheap is best world.

Nowhere did i say basic system. That's your domain.

I think we do just fine with our sales policy and business ethics. If we choose to help the potentially vulnerable, that's our call, but we won't sacrifice quality for cheap n basic.

Sponsored Links
Hello everyone

My alarm people are charging £282 to come out and replace the back up battery in my Ts690. I think this is excessive.

I decided to take the front panel off and silenced the alarm with my pass code. I located the battery and ordered one off the net for £24 delivered.

Now before I get too clever and disconnect the old one, is there anything I should know about?

Is it really as simple as reconnecting the fast on spade terminals and punching my code in to reset?

Can the battery only be changed with an engineers code?

What about if I bridge the old batterry with the new one using two bits or wire? Do you think the system will detect the increase in volts and lock me out?

Many thanks
Ron :rolleyes:
SlowAlarms, here is a copy of Post #1, the O/P

Try reading again and then stop being selective with the answers you give and try and help, but there again you only do DiY stuff and Pro systems are beyond your comprehension, as is the written word.

Stay in your little bubble in Harrogate and keep making the YouTube funnies.

My principles are clearly more honourable than yours.

Don't make me laugh , my prices are fixed and for all to see , yours are variable dependent on what you think you can get away with..lol
#Joker #unethical
What's unethical about written quotes?

The fact we can choose to quote what we like is down to free enterprise.

Your fixed pricing policy only works on basic little jobs. You ain't upto, nor capable of anything bigger.

Blimey, You are so right. I was suprised when they told me the two boxes on the front and back were going to be dummy boxes. Reason they gave me was " as its monitored, outside bells are not needed."
What a joke!
With regards to the premium rate phone line, what a rip off. Thank you for warning me. I was not aware of this.
I wont be going ahead with them now for sure.

Just to qualify I do not know if they still use a premium rate number it was actually stated as such in their previous contract but the new one simply says that you will be liable to extra charges regarding telecommunicating with the ARC and the website states the system will contact the arc daily for checks.
It may now be standard rate I don't know but it will still be extra calls on your phone line.

Alarm was right earlier when he suggested getting three quotes from local companies... and if you can get qualified referals then even better

I am not suggesting not to use ADT just be aware of the contract and all considerations too.

Just going back to the comment 'As it is monitored outside bells are not needed'
How did they qualify that remark.

Did they suggest the Police would arrive?
Did they say your keyholders would be notified and would come to the house.
How did they actually explain that you would not need outside bells in such a way that you accepted the risk of not having them?

Sponsored Links
the system will contact the arc daily for checks.
Which means the ARC are aware of any faults that may occur and compromise the alarms ability to react to intruders.
It may now be standard rate I don't know but it will still be extra calls on your phone line.
A small cost to ensure a reliable system.

Just going back to the comment 'As it is monitored outside bells are not needed'

Speaking as a keyholder I have been called by the ARC before I have heard the siren which is about 150 yards away. The police have arrived within minutes on the few occasions ( in ten years ) that the alarm has be activated.

How did they actually explain that you would not need outside bells in such a way that you accepted the risk of not having them?
In the case of an aquaintance whose alarm has "dummy" bell boxes the explanation was as follows. The silent alarm to ARC would activate a response from police and at least one keyholder while the intruders, believing they had not been detected would not rush to get away. The timings of response from police and keyholder meant the intruders might still be there when police arrived and/or the keyholder has blocked the vehicle escape route. With bells activated intruders would grab and run with small high value difficult to sell items that could never be replaced. Thinking they were not detected they might then spend time loading larger easy to sell items ( TVs etc ) into a vehicle and be caught as a result. Whether bells are rung or not depends on local circumstances and what is being protected.

the system will contact the arc daily for checks.
Which means the ARC are aware of any faults that may occur and compromise the alarms ability to react to intruders.
A small cost to ensure a reliable system.

Speaking as a keyholder I have been called by the ARC before I have heard the siren which is about 150 yards away. The police have arrived within minutes on the few occasions ( in ten years ) that the alarm has be activated.

In the case of an aquaintance whose alarm has "dummy" bell boxes the explanation was as follows. The silent alarm to ARC would activate a response from police and at least one keyholder while the intruders, believing they had not been detected would not rush to get away. The timings of response from police and keyholder meant the intruders might still be there when police arrived and/or the keyholder has blocked the vehicle escape route. With bells activated intruders would grab and run with small high value difficult to sell items that could never be replaced. Thinking they were not detected they might then spend time loading larger easy to sell items ( TVs etc ) into a vehicle and be caught as a result. Whether bells are rung or not depends on local circumstances and what is being protected.

They said I would have a 110 decibel siren in the hall. Im sure they would hear this and smash it to pieces and then burgal for 2 more mins without disturbing the neighbours.

You need an outdoor siren. It would be like having a dog that doesnt bark.
It would be like getting mugged in the street and not shouting help.

skyboy";p="2397466 said:
Blimey, You are so right. I was suprised when they told me the two boxes on the front and back were going to be dummy boxes. Reason they gave me was " as its monitored, outside bells are not needed."
What a joke!
With regards to the premium rate phone line, what a rip off. Thank you for warning me. I was not aware of this.
I wont be going ahead with them now for sure.

Just to qualify I do not know if they still use a premium rate number it was actually stated as such in their previous contract but the new one simply says that you will be liable to extra charges regarding telecommunicating with the ARC and the website states the system will contact the arc daily for checks.

Alarm was right earlier when he suggested getting three quotes from local companies... and if you can get qualified referals then even better

I am not suggesting not to use ADT just be aware of the contract and all considerations too.

How did they actually explain that you would not need outside bells in such a way that you accepted the risk of not having them?[/
quote]

Yes they said I or my keyholder would be notified negating the need for outside bells

Yes they said I or my keyholder would be notified negating the need for outside bells

tbh thats a fair comment.
The only problem then being if through no fault of their own ie the phones system goes down you would have zero protection other than a dummy box.

I guess you were just looking at the std system with keyholders.
That puts a huge responsibility on your keyholders.

I would always advocate a monitoring AND a siren.

Belt AND braces.

Remember you only have suggested keyholders who can arrive within 20 minutes , Don't they get to go shopping or on Holiday or to a cafe etc etc

Realistically if YOU were someone elses keyholder do you think you could get to their home within 20 minutes of a phone call? Do you have things you do , family etc that would make that a difficult responsibility?

I fit systems that call the homeowner in their own mobile no cost and that would allow them to return home if neccessary/near enough and also allow them to call a neighbour or two to have a look , if they see someone they can call the police.

A local alarm company could install a system that did just that using graded equipment without the need for any monitoring fees.

It was a hard wired control panel with event log.

Their standard system has no lcd display, so I didnt like that one too much.

This one would have been £99 inclusive of Vat Fitted which was quiet reasonable.
The tie is the monitoring fees, which they were keen to tell me does all the servicing by remote via gps and not the telephone line.

I was going to say the dual path costs are minimal or nothing now with the numbers I use. The market is a changing to misquote a famous song.
As I said all this morning GET THREE QUOTES, HELL GET FIVE.
Then go with what you feel comfortable with.

Again as I said change the battery and if it requires I`ll endeavour to give the anti-code as I hold all the software needed, but I would need to know the existing companies name for the algorithm (if needed).
But this Would be at your own risk.
As I think Bernard mentioned this is fairly new for engineer reset on tamper, your panel was advanced at its time (Still is now compared to some),and has the facility.

So nothing here different from what I said last night, do take Sky/Yaleguy/Falarms with a pince of salt. He grabs onto the worst case studies and then broadsheets it to everything.
He fits DIY equipment for £20 as he advertises and offers a money back deal. Whats £200 from a robbery of several thousand, We carry insurance. Not offer you just your money back if the equipment fails to perform as designed. Note designed, not a standard kit out of a box.

So to summarise.
Ignore skyboy.
Get 3 to 5 quotes.
Feel free to change the battery ( mains present take utmost care). If on reset I will endeavour to assist.

All as I said last night.
If your unsure of what questions to ask, ask us. Who work to ALL the regs and not someone who if they found them would use them as a door stop.

Regards.

I fit systems that call the homeowner in their own mobile

Tell me the name of it please? And is it reliable?

Several add ons now do this and all depend on network coverage at site and at reception end. Some use a roaming chip and this almost gives 99.9% reliability to call out.

Hence GRPS and IP paths being more frequently used. In fact for some time now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back