Meter change help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi..just had a letter from the supplier saying they need to change the econ 7 meters due to Radio 4LW signal etc...but do I really need to change them? The house supply has an old fashioned mech timer...and the garage has a 3 phase supply meter..photos attached.

Attachments

• 20240323_115033.png
    20240323_115033.png
    2 MB · Views: 63
  • 20240323_112203.jpg
    20240323_112203.jpg
    507.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 20240323_115114.jpg
    20240323_115114.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 65
Sponsored Links
Have now...had to delete off meter info from the pics !
Thanks. That all looks seriously old, and probably well due for replacement! Has your 'deleting' perhaps hidden dates of manufacture?

As for your question, if you have an E7 (or similar) tariff which is being managed by that time switch, then you obviously do not need to have your meter changed because teleswitches will not work for much longer.

Is your problem that they want to fit a 'smart' meter and, for some reason, you don't want that?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Thanks John...The house meter is dated 2008 I think..and the garage 3 phase looks like 2011 (both dates printed on the meters). They are separate supplies. Both were replaced in 2012-ish by SSE. I am just trying to avoid hassle rather than avoiding smart meters. Do they even do Econ7 3-phase meters now, I wonder..as their letter only referred to the house meter. .

Is you garage 3ph meter E7?
It doesn't have a control wire that I can see nor does it have a description as such.

We've had several threads on here about it now and I suspect there are no dumb multirate meters any more.

Yes..3ph E7….historical reason, there is a disconnected 24KW 3ph swimming pool heater on the wall ! You can scroll thru the readings via the blue button…date/time, peak, off peak, total. That supply might come in useful for EV charging at some point, though I am paying 2 standing charges of course.

Would is be feasible to take a feed from the 3ph meter to the house to do away with the house 1ph meter to stop a second standing charge?

Sunray, thanks…
not easily or cheaply…would need a 40m z-shaped run of cable approx plus digging up a sandstone patio/drains.

Thanks John...The house meter is dated 2008 I think..and the garage 3 phase looks like 2011 (both dates printed on the meters). They are separate supplies. Both were replaced in 2012-ish by SSE.
Interesting- they all look as if they have 'been in the wars' fore a lot longer than that!
I am just trying to avoid hassle rather than avoiding smart meters.
Meter changes, including the fitting of a 'smart' meter really aren't a hassle. It takes only an hour or so (during which your electricity will obviously be turned off).
Do they even do Econ7 3-phase meters now,
Yep,I have one - last changed a couple of years ago. Of course, a 3-phase 'smart' meter (which I'm currently being 'offered'!) can support an E7 tariff (or much more complex tariffs) if the supplier chooses to offer such a tariff.

Kind Regards, John

@bernardgreen link states "You can choose not to upgrade to a smart meter. However, you may not have the same functionality as you have now, and you may also be limited with the choice of tariffs." and this it the problem, either you loose split tariff or you have a smart meter.

I had to bite the bullet and have a smart meter earlier this year to get paid for export and have a split tariff, I actually have 8 hours not 7 at the low rate, the smart meter required more room, and items fitted onto the meter board had to be removed, they are fitted where hard to read, so having a in house display (IHD) was an advantage, as was the app, however the IHD will not scroll back to show yesterday, and the app has not updated since 26 Feb 2024 so rather poor, however the tariff does show, standing charge went down a little, and the day rate went up a little, but the night rate is far cheaper, so all in all massive gain having the smart meter.

I know we where I work have at least three independent supplies for the same building, it was start up units, and now we have them all, it worked out it will take 15 years to recoup the cost of removing a supply by not paying standing charge, so they have been left in. But if not using the night rate then no real need for the garage meter to be changed.

This 1711212386694.png is the two tariffs I have had, the gain is I can charge up batteries at 8.95p per KWh and then use it until the sun is strong enough to cope with demand. The roof is SW so don't get full output until around 11 am, but before I had solar panel and battery there would have been no gain having split tariff. Up to date the battery has never reached midnight before being fully discharged, but the power used 7 pm to midnight is not that much.

@bernardgreen link states "You can choose not to upgrade to a smart meter. However, you may not have the same functionality as you have now, and you may also be limited with the choice of tariffs." and this it the problem, either you loose split tariff or you have a smart meter.
That's if one is using a teleswitch - and even that's not necessary with a modern meter. I have a 'split tariff' (E7), but no'smart' meter, teleswith of or time switch - just a 'dumb' electronic meter which has an internal clock.

Kind Regards, John

I have an E7 meter but a few years ago changed my tariff to a normal one and the two readings are added together for my bill. I worked it out and we were not saving any money on E7 as the E7 standing charge was higher and the day part of the E7 tarriff was more than a standard day tariff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back