Meter change help

I have an E7 meter but a few years ago changed my tariff to a normal one and the two readings are added together for my bill. I worked it out and we were not saving any money on E7 as the E7 standing charge was higher and the day part of the E7 tarriff was more than a standard day tariff.
Sure, on has to do the sums, and for many people (unless they have night storage heaters) E7 will cost them more than would a single-rate tariff, for the reasons you mention.

With most suppliers, one has to use at least about 35% of one's electricity at 'cheap rate' for it to work out cheaper. It's worthwhile for me, since I average 45% - 50% 'cheap rate' use.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
For long enough we were compromising our life stye to try an maxamise the E7 and it just was not worth it with gas central heating do not use a clothes dryer as have a covered outside space if raining. Whole house is LEDs

For long enough we were compromising our life stye to try an maxamise the E7 and it just was not worth it with gas central heating do not use a clothes dryer as have a covered outside space if raining. Whole house is LEDs
That definitely sounds fair enough. In our case, we achiever what is needed for it to be beneficial without any appreciable impact on our lifestyle - so it is worthwhile.

Kind Regards, John

I dont know if its still the same but its such a con when they promote E7 - save money x pence a unit but they don't tell you that the standing charge is more and the day rate is more.

Sponsored Links
Average 23.86p and 29.57p on single rate. That's average per hour. I the main we do however use more during the day unless using solar and batteries.

I have been looking at heavy electric use, kettle, microwave, oven, hob can't really delay to use at night, but dishwasher, washing machine, and tumble drier all have delayed start built in so they could be run over night.

Not sure about safety however. I do see @aveatry point however, we are altering our whole life style around when we have cheap power.

For me with solar power and battery I do try to not use high power items after 3 p.m. other than the kettle, but does not always work out. But typically use around 7.5 kWh a day, and even with no solar 3 kWh used to charge battery, so split tariff for me will always pay.

It reminds me of the recent campaign to get people to turn off the electric at peak times in exchange for cash, so before hand they boil kettles and fill flasks eat at a different time that suits them normally charge up battery's for tourches that they will be needing in the dark and then they get the cash in their bank account -- £1.14 :LOL: Meanwhile they have spent more money before hand on charging every thing and kettles going cold.

I dont know if its still the same but its such a con when they promote E7 - save money x pence a unit but they don't tell you that the standing charge is more and the day rate is more.
I think people would be rather naive if they thought that 'just by asking' they could get cheaper night rate electricity with exactly the same standing charge and day rate as if they hadn't asked, wouldn't they? (since, if that were the case,it would be a no-brainer and everyone would say '"yes please" :)).?

I think people would be rather naive if they thought that 'just by asking' they could get cheaper night rate electricity with exactly the same standing charge and day rate as if they hadn't asked, wouldn't they? (since, if that were the case,it would be a no-brainer and everyone would say '"yes please" :)).?
I did know of one property had 2 meters (actually 3 as this was in the days of white meters) so had E7 for exclusively cheaprate use and conventional for daytime use and a contactor arrangement to change the load between the 2. I don't know the full story which was Seeboard tried to stop them doing it but they were not breaking any contract/law as officially it was 2 addresses.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back