Meter move - is it writ in stone that homeowner needs his/her own electrician on the day?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It is not the case that the homeowner needs their own electrician present on the the day that the team arrive to relocate the meter. It appears that there is a certain discretion allowable.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
WPD says the homeowner must have his/her own qualified spark on site on the day of tbe relocation, to connect the tails in to the repositioned meter/isolator or they won't commence the works? Is this right ...
If a 'qualified spark' is not going to do it, who is - you?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
WPD will not connect the domestic side. They don't trust DIYers to know anything (and with good reason).

Sorry, you have to comply or they'll not do the work.

You’ll need to arrange for the MOP to move your meter also.

You’ll need to arrange for the MOP to move your meter also.

WPD have always moved meters for me on service alterations. Some DNOs won’t however!

I have been present on all service alterations I have been involved with (usually because I end up organising them!) and I usually charge a days labour, though as often the CU needs moving or a submain installing, I try to time it so I am doing this on the day, so making the best use of my time

For what it is worth, My new supply was installed as far as the isolator and I connected the tails from the CU to the isolator.

I recall ( maybe wrongly ) that the meter installer fitted the meter the same day as the WP installed the supply and the CU was connected that afternoon

I could install tails in to an isolation switch safely but does that provide the WPD lawyers with lead lined underpants? No.

Yes but this work is really beyond the remit of someone who is non qualified. Do you have the tools necessary to test once the supply is connected, earth loop impedance, polarity etc. It is more than a case of connecting three wires.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back