Micro point gas fitting, long term sealing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

First post so please excuse any house rules I have broke.

I am switching from a standalone gas cooker to standalone electric cooker and will be disconnecting the gas cooker via the installed micro point fitting.

Will the fitting attached to the wall which is self sealing be suitable to be left unplugged? Or would ingress of grease and grime pose a long term issue? Should I have a blank plug to attach to the open fitting?

Also how to guarantee the self sealing action? what is the best procedure to use? I’ve heard washing liquid solution, I’ve heard that that is also not suitable.

I’m personally a confident DIYer but require advice on this particular subject.

many Thanks,

Luke Kerbey

Sponsored Links
Apart from not posting in the plumbing section :)
It can be left as is..gas pressure is very low and the self sealing mechanism should be fine.
You could make up a weak soapy solution and brush it into the valve and look for bubbles but even the smallest gas leak is normally detected by most noses.
Don't use washing up liquid..it's a little corrosive.

If the supply is to be retained for future use and it's a standard micropoint then they're usually 1/2" threaded ends, so the micropoint end can be removed and a cap screwed in.

If not to be used again then agree that just getting the service cut back and capped would be the safest.

Sponsored Links
upload_2020-7-19_12-59-18.jpeg

This is with the flex hose removed

So yer, it’s a micropoint opposed to the old style bayonet.

cheers for the feedback folks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back