Gas cooker point seal done right?

Bamber gaspipe said:
ollski said:
[
Who told you that?, there is no such duty on you at all.

Whatever :rolleyes: , you seem to have been told something that neither myself or anyone else I have spoken to has ever heard. You have a duty of care in that you are not allowed to ignore a potential safety issue, but you certainly don't have a responsibility to check something you are not working on or inspecting with no indications of a safety fault.
The reason I am here though is to pick up information I didn't know so by all means enlighten me.

Your first duty when attending a situation regarding gas is to establish there is no leak before you start..These are NOT the Regs, I never said that they were, but I would have thought that you of all people Ollski would agree that this was neccesary..if not let`s just say you finish doing whatever on your gas appliance.You then carry out your test & get a drop.Was it there before you started or is it down to work you have just carried out?....Bit of a nightmare if you have just installed a length of pipe to an existing gas run & find that you have to start capping off appliances, or pipework you have just installed to locate the leak.
If you do not carry out a tightness test after servicing a boiler & just spray the joint with LDF how do you know that you haven`t left a gas leak on fire, cooker,water heater or any other appliance?..are you or the rest of the engineers telling me it`s not your problem?...I think it is.... & if Transco are called to a completely unrelated incided because there is a gas leak & you were THE LAST ENGINEER AT THAT PROPERTY you will be Riddor`ed & rightly so.

To Corgiman & co.

If some of my posts have across more forthright than they should I apologise..It was not my intention.. ;)

i have to dis agree with you im afraid.... if you only touched the boiler and that was not leaking the how can you be riddor reportable if you have not touched the gas fire. They can only nail you IF YOU BREAK THE REGS. I know what you are saying is a bit of good common sense but you don't have to do it.

Sponsored Links
pmsl.

This thread cracks me up..some right PC on here isnt there..

Bet they wear orange jackets and jangle keys on the job too

:LOL: :LOL:

But Bamber you would only responsible for those appliances if you work on them or the customer mentions a problem or you smell gas or visually suspect a problem. If you were riddored for a gas leak on an appliance you did not inspect you would simply inform the hse you didn't inspect it and you are covered.
Of course if you want to be particularly thorough that can only be a good thing, but apart from a landlords check a tightness test is not required on general day to day breakdown and servicing work.

If I service a gas fire...I don`t carry out a tightness test on the whole carcass afterwards ...Transco are called out to the same property later on that day & find a gas leak but not on the fire ..I cannot be held responsible?...

Sponsored Links
It is not mandatory law to do tightness tests on whole installations when u have serviced an appliance. if leak is nothing to do with you then no..just sods law it happened after u left. Transco dont care anyway just cap and bail out :eek:

But in a domestic house i would tell them its in with the service when they ask me to do the job and for a price etc.

Bamber gaspipe said:
If I service a gas fire...I don`t carry out a tightness test on the whole carcass afterwards ...Transco are called out to the same property later on that day & find a gas leak but not on the fire ..I cannot be held responsible?...

No.

Bamber

installed a length of pipe

Everyone agrees that if you are installing pipe that you would be required to put a test on, before and after.

That is not in dispute (by anyone )

If you do not carry out a tightness test after servicing a boiler & just spray the joint with LDF how do you know that you haven`t left a gas leak on fire, cooker,water heater or any other appliance?..

Why would you even want to spray the gas connection to the boiler, only spraying on most boiler servicing is on gas valve test nipples.

you posted this.

A tightness test must be carried out under the following circumstances:

New installation.

Before & after extending or altering an installation.

Before embedding,burying, painting or wrapping pipework.

Whenever there is a suspicion of gas escape (obviously)....so next time you decorate make sure you ring a corgi engineer....

Servicing doesn't fall into any of the above.

I am begining to think you are having us on now.

So i will bow out graciously.

;)

Scatman,

The original poster was talking about an installation issue not servicing.. hence my earlier posts on tightness testing. The subject then drifted into servicing issues.
I know that you don`t spray gas the gas joint on boiler when servicing it excuse me for saying `joint` when I should have said `test points on gas valve`.

If it`s true in what you are saying that if you are a service engineer & not liable for the whole of the installation, then I will gladly hold up my hands & say:
I APOLOGISE, It is not your problem if you attend a property to service an appliance & leave the property with a possible gas leak.

It is if you are an Installer..& I always test before & after wether I am removing/servicing or interfering with any gas appliance..

Hope that`s clear & all are happy..

Manty said:
I've had a gas engineer here today seal off an old cooker point as we don't use gas - the bayonet connection has been there unused for 4 years but I wanted to make sure it was properly sealed off.

He used a threaded metal plug, smeared Gasseal around the threads, unscrewed the bayonet and screwed the plug on tight.

Is this sufficient? I was thinking it may have needed to be blow torched shut... ? :confused:
the method used is correct it is good practice to do a tightness test before and after any work B ut if only one joint is broken then all is req is to purge at furthest point and use L D F. on the plug this is in the gas regs.

Bamber gaspipe said:
scatmanjohn said:
Ok then..

You service a fire that has no means of isolation so you have to turn off the gas at the meter before you can disconnect the fire.

Who does a tightness test?

I do (before and after.)

If the fire has an isolation valve to turn off the gas then i would turn off the gas at the isolation valve, disconnect the fire, complete work, reconnect, open isolation valve and test all joints with LDF.

Thats my understanding of it.

Fine...if she /he has a gas leak on cooker or wall heater..who is it down to...errrrrr.....YOU...Last man standing Sunbeam...
I hope you fit a restrictor elbow or gas cock before you leave the job so it is up tocurrent standards so the next man in can isolate the appliance then!

hobgoblin said:
I hope you fit a restrictor elbow or gas cock before you leave the job so it is up tocurrent standards so the next man in can isolate the appliance then!

Thats down to the customer to say really isn't it?

Just being picky but dont the regs say that a gas cock (and a restrictor IS NOT a isolator its a restrictor) must be fitted where practicable??? not must be fitted in ALL circumstances

I thought a gas ISOLATOR must be fitted where an appliance is fitted in a non readily accessable place ie a loft?

Could be wrong as I cannot be arsed to dig me book out :)

sheesh I am getting fatter and lazier by the day I really am :)

NOW just let me put you all in the picture here what realy should be done sit down girls and learn.

RIGHT if you go to a property with say a gas fire and a gas boiler you will need to do TWO tightness tests, but if you go with just a boiler ONE is only required. WHY ?

thats true BOB why would you if your service one would do wouldnt it

Two if you break a gas connection etc, one before to make sure of no leaks one after to make sure your bit is ok

corgiman said:
thats true BOB why would you if your service one would do wouldnt it

Two if you break a gas connection etc, one before to make sure of no leaks one after to make sure your bit is ok

THATS correct if you whent to a prop with just a gas fire 2 gas tightness checks are reguired all a bit ovious to me cant understand why this thread as gone on for so long over a god dam cooker plug.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back