Gas cooker point seal done right?

sheesh showing your age, you'll be calling it a drop test next
only at the docs when i cough :LOL:

Sponsored Links
So with that logic are you suggesting that whenever you walk into a house you do a tightness test?

cannot believe you have just asked me that question...you should be struck off for incompetence...

PS....whats with the aggression. calm down fella.

Not aggressive..stating facts..

Bamber gaspipe wrote:

cannot believe you have just asked me that question...you should be struck off for incompetence

So what is your answer then?

Not aggressive

In my opinion you post aggressive comments.

Do you do it in order to try and intimidate people?

Are you a big bully?

scatmanjohn"]Bamber gaspipe wrote:

cannot believe you have just asked me that question...you should be struck off for incompetence

So what is your answer then?

If you are unclear that is your problem..

In my opinion you post aggressive comments.

Post one.....

Do you do it in order to try and intimidate people?

Not on this site..more likely to be intimidated....

Are you a big bully?

Yes, & I kill spiders....

Sponsored Links
You seem to be upset because I have challenged your views...yet I have conceded to you on the chimney vent situation...& declared you correct & have duly apologised..if there is another issue bothering you please make your case...& let us see if we cannot sort it... ;)

Bambi
You obviously know nothing about me so stop behaving like a child with your personal insults.
I ALWAYS test where I consider it appropriate.
My point is simply that at my last 3 CNN1's this was specifically & thoroughly covered for obvious reasons (the servicing of a boiler being the main one) and it is not a requirement.
You seem to have adopted a 'holier than thou' attitude here.
Wind yer neck in and put your case in an adult & civilised manner and I think you'll find people will take you more seriusly.
As for me giving Engineers a bad name....I won't dignify that with an answer
Garethgas

qgarethgas"]
You obviously know nothing about me so stop behaving like a child with your personal insults.

I don`t know you so how can I personally insult you..don`t flatter yourself, you & your opinion mean absolutely nothing to me..sorry..

I ALWAYS test where I consider it appropriate.

not telling you when to test, just quoting the Regulations mate..

My point is simply that at my last 3 CNN1's this was specifically & thoroughly covered for obvious reasons (the servicing of a boiler being the main one) and it is not a requirement

Then you were incorrectly informed.

You seem to have adopted a 'holier than thou' attitude here.

Not really ...just stating the Regs to which you & I should adhere to...

Wind yer neck in and put your case in an adult & civilised manner and I think you'll find people will take you more seriusly.

Thought I was putting my case in a civilised manner?? Sorry ..does it hurt when you are wrong??

As for me giving Engineers a bad name....I won't dignify that with an answer

Sorry..Life`s a beeaatchh...then you die ;)

Bamber gaspipe said:
NO...NO..NO..NO..NO...you sound like a service engineer....if you enter a property your first duty before tackling a problem regarding gas appliances is to establish that there is no leak before you start..you cannot ..as service engineers do...remove the appliance & spray whatever union/joint is remaining..there may not be a leak..LDF is rubbish anyway...Tightness test before & after.....you know it makes sense..if you are cutting corners..shame on..you

I don't have a duty by the regs to do a tighness test a system first... The regs in england & wales say... If you have broken into or disturbed the pipework then you must make sure there are no leaks once you have finished. Usually this means a tighness test on the meter at the end of the job.... i know what you say is right and don't get me wrong i do the same. but it is not the regs in england and wales. Tighness test first of all is very good practice(which they teach you at college) and most gas fitters probably do this as well.

Bamber gaspipe said:
ollski said:
Bamber gaspipe said:
if you enter a property your first duty before tackling a problem regarding gas appliances is to establish that there is no leak before you start

Who told you that?, there is no such duty on you at all.

Obviously trying to provoke a verbal confrontation..only time he posts..bless`im..

Whatever :rolleyes: , you seem to have been told something that neither myself or anyone else I have spoken to has ever heard. You have a duty of care in that you are not allowed to ignore a potential safety issue, but you certainly don't have a responsibility to check something you are not working on or inspecting with no indications of a safety fault.
The reason I am here though is to pick up information I didn't know so by all means enlighten me.

Bamber gaspipe said:
You seem to be upset because I have challenged your views...yet I have conceded to you on the chimney vent situation...& declared you correct & have duly apologised..if there is another issue bothering you please make your case...& let us see if we cannot sort it... ;)

Hang on a minute. :confused:

I wrote:

Ok then..

You service a fire that has no means of isolation so you have to turn off the gas at the meter before you can disconnect the fire.

Who does a tightness test?

I do (before and after.)

If the fire has an isolation valve to turn off the gas then i would turn off the gas at the isolation valve, disconnect the fire, complete work, reconnect, open isolation valve and test all joints with LDF.

Thats my understanding of it.

Then You wrote:

Fine...if she /he has a gas leak on cooker or wall heater..who is it down to...errrrrr.....YOU...Last man standing Sunbeam...

Now correct me if i am wrong , but is it not you who got upset when i posted something that didn't quite match up with your opinion.

You wrote:

if there is another issue bothering you please make your case...& let us see if we cannot sort it...

This is the issue

you wrote:

if you enter a property your first duty before tackling a problem regarding gas appliances is to establish that there is no leak before you start...

Now, point it out if i have misunderstood you but you seem to be suggesting that, When any RGI enters a property for any reason (for example to change a component on a boiler) he must carry out a tightness test.

If it is then you are mistaken.

I have to agree with everyone else bamber

no where in the regs does it say that you MUST caring out a tightness test everytime you enter a property OR when you carry out a boiler service OR if you carry out a cp12. on the last two you would be a bit bonkers if you did not though :)

The point everyone is trying to make to you is that YOU as an RGI make the judgement call whether or not to carry one out.

You just must be aware that if owt goes pop after you have attended a property you will be asked to justify your action "I had no reasons to suspect a gas leak in this property as the standard of workmanship was high" (add any other arguement here------

If what you say is true as a RGI i would have to carry out a tightness test every time someone had called me to change their tap washer, which is patently daft. That said if I noticed anything untoward with the system (verdigris on the gaspipe for example) or even if i just got one of those feelings try and stop me carrying out any safety checks I felt nescessary, and although the boss hates it, free of charge.

We are appropriatley trained operatives, we recieve, in general, i high standard of training through ACS etc so we should, and are, relied apon to make calls on these matters on a case by case basis.

I also have to agree with scatman, who is a jolly nice person by the why who has made laugh out loud several times, that you have had the tendancy to come over a bit more forthright than is strictly nescessary.

Many times on this website I have had to eat my portion of humble pie cos I have been wrong, or not totally right, and I like to think that i have done this with good grace, like the rest of the top boys on this site.

So come on matey, we are all on a permanent learning curve, lets just be friends

(fades out to the strains of "love is all you need")
:LOL:

corgiman wrote:

also have to agree with scatman, who is a jolly nice person by the why who has made laugh out loud several times,

I love it when someone "Bigs Me Up" It makes me feel all warm inside.

:D :D

Oi

I got my post this morning and my bloody £50 did not arrive

Hurry up or I will go all "water systems" on ya

:p :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

ollski said:
[
Who told you that?, there is no such duty on you at all.

Whatever :rolleyes: , you seem to have been told something that neither myself or anyone else I have spoken to has ever heard. You have a duty of care in that you are not allowed to ignore a potential safety issue, but you certainly don't have a responsibility to check something you are not working on or inspecting with no indications of a safety fault.
The reason I am here though is to pick up information I didn't know so by all means enlighten me.

Your first duty when attending a situation regarding gas is to establish there is no leak before you start..These are NOT the Regs, I never said that they were, but I would have thought that you of all people Ollski would agree that this was neccesary..if not let`s just say you finish doing whatever on your gas appliance.You then carry out your test & get a drop.Was it there before you started or is it down to work you have just carried out?....Bit of a nightmare if you have just installed a length of pipe to an existing gas run & find that you have to start capping off appliances, or pipework you have just installed to locate the leak.
If you do not carry out a tightness test after servicing a boiler & just spray the joint with LDF how do you know that you haven`t left a gas leak on fire, cooker,water heater or any other appliance?..are you or the rest of the engineers telling me it`s not your problem?...I think it is.... & if Transco are called to a completely unrelated incided because there is a gas leak & you were THE LAST ENGINEER AT THAT PROPERTY you will be Riddor`ed & rightly so.

To Corgiman & co.

If some of my posts have across more forthright than they should I apologise..It was not my intention.. ;)

Except when I called someone a naughty word which was out of line... :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back