Middle East Solution

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
No, your thinking of the ERW, the Enhanced RAdiation Weapon. It was developed by a jewish scientist at Lawrence Livermore Laboratory in the early 1960's and tested at Nevada. They built three versions, one off which went on a cruise missile. and one as battlefield ordnance.

The idea was it was a small blast but produced a massive torrent of radiation, and designed to work at a distance of 1 Km. To put it in perspective, a lethal dose of radiation is 6 grays, at 1000 metres inside a tank you would get about 100 grays, which will incapacitate you now and kill you in minutes.

The enhanced radiation weapon and the neutron bomb are essentially the same thing. It's just a regular fission bomb optimized for neutron production. The idea goes back to 1958 when the cold war was in full flow and all kinds of devices were considered. Some of them, like the nuclear bullet, never got off the drawing board.

The cobalt bomb was a device surrounded by much myth. Somebody tried to tell me that nobody dared test one in case it wiped out the entire solar system - and him a physics lab technician too! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: The truth is much simpler; bog-standard cobalt 59 in the bomb casing captures the neutrons and becomes very unfriendly cobalt 60, a high energy gamma source with a half life of about five years. :evil: :evil: :evil:

If a true neutron-only bomb exists, it remains a well hidden secret. If I was trying to make one, I would be looking at helium-beryllium fusion. Maybe this is the origin of the beryllium sphere which keeps cropping up in science fiction. :idea: :idea: :idea: The claim that it would leave warehouses intact is misleading. Intact they might be but much of their contents would be loaded with induced radioactivity. You don't have to look far these days to find something with a cobalt magnet in it.

The enhanced radiation weapon and the neutron bomb are essentially the same thing. It's just a regular fission bomb optimized for neutron production. The idea goes back to 1958 when the cold war was in full flow and all kinds of devices were considered. Some of them, like the nuclear bullet, never got off the drawing board.
The cobalt bomb was a device surrounded by much myth. Somebody tried to tell me that nobody dared test one in case it wiped out the entire solar system - and him a physics lab technician too! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: The truth is much simpler; bog-standard cobalt 59 in the bomb casing captures the neutrons and becomes very unfriendly cobalt 60, a high energy gamma source with a half life of about five years. :evil: :evil: :evil:

If a true neutron-only bomb exists, it remains a well hidden secret. If I was trying to make one, I would be looking at helium-beryllium fusion. Maybe this is the origin of the beryllium sphere which keeps cropping up in science fiction. :idea: :idea: :idea: The claim that it would leave warehouses intact is misleading. Intact they might be but much of their contents would be loaded with induced radioactivity. You don't have to

No the Cobalt salted bomb was a triple stage fission-fusion-fission device, the outer shell of which was cobalt 60. The idea was on fission it produced huge amounts of fallout. The americans built one and so did the russians, using the same three-stage Teller–Ulam design as the Tsar Bomba, with the outer jacket salted with cobalt.. The argument was you didnt have to drop it, it was a last resort wepaon, you detonated it where it was, and it produced so much fallout it poisoned life on earth and no-one won, hence the name the Doomsday Device.

However, the Russians have gone one further. The Aviation Thermobaric Bomb of Increased Power (ATBIP) (Russian: Авиационная вакуумная бомба повышенной мощности (АВБПМ)), nicknamed "Father of All Bombs" (FOAB) (Отец всех бомб), is a Russian-made air-delivered/land activated thermobaric weapon.

It uses a mixture of nanotechnology explosive to create a cloud of fine aluminium powder and ethylene gas, and use oxygen from the air, rather than carrying an oxidiser in the explosive. This creates a massive fireball twice as hot a a thermonuclear fireball, and a blast wave traveling at mach 2+. Consequently the bomb is cleaner than a nuclear device and by weight comparisons makes a fireball twice as big and with twice the blast radius.

I'm almost sure they have Thermobaric weapons on Startrek. ;) ;) ;)

Lincsbodger said:
No the Cobalt salted bomb was a triple stage fission-fusion-fission device, the outer shell of which was cobalt 60.

You could certainly make such a bomb. It wouldn't be a nice thing to have standing around, and you'd have to replace the casing at regular intervals, but the principle is sound. Rather than rely on neutron capture in safe Co59, you just make it from Co60. Your only realistic option would be to detonate it in situ.

I can also see how its nickname, the Doomsday Device, could be exaggerated out of all proportion by non-tech types. My old friend's claim was that it could "ignite Earth's atmosphere and then the Sun might explode". :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Just where did he learn his physics? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

and also said:
Consequently the bomb is cleaner than a nuclear device and by weight comparisons makes a fireball twice as big and with twice the blast radius.

The lengths some people will go to get around nuclear non-proliferation treaties! ;) ;) ;)

lifesagasman said:
don't forget you'll need a strong rubber band...

I would need a ball of chemical explosive designed to blast the beryllium sphere inwards and heat the helium up to fusion temperature. I'm no explosives expert so somebody else can do the maths on that. On second thoughts, straight Be-Be fusion might work. Just put a vacuum in the sphere. :idea: :idea: :idea: Either way, the rubber band, combined with a large forked stick, could be the delivery mechanism. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

There will never be peace in the Middle East until Israel moves out.

It was only given as a compensatory measure after the holocaust to make the world feel less guilty.

Relocate them in the heartland of their financial backers - Montana or Nebraska are pretty empty.

The trouble is, then the USA would lose their nuclear base in the Middle East and the dominoes would start to fall and with them the oil fields.

god you dont half talk some carp...

and a new labour voter....

that says it all... :(

joe-90 said:
There will never be peace in the Middle East until Israel moves out.

It was only given as a compensatory measure after the holocaust to make the world feel less guilty.

Relocate them in the heartland of their financial backers - Montana or Nebraska are pretty empty.

The trouble is, then the USA would lose their nuclear base in the Middle East and the dominoes would start to fall and with them the oil fields.

geraint said:
god you dont half talk some carp...

It's not all carp.

1) "There will never be peace in the Middle East until Israel moves out."

That would be one solution but not the only one. Partial carp. :) :) :)

2) "It was only given as a compensatory measure after the holocaust to make the world feel less guilty."

I can believe that. Hitler had a lot to answer for. :( :( :(

3) "Relocate them in the heartland of their financial backers - Montana or Nebraska are pretty empty."

OK, that's carp. Forcably relocating such an unpredicable and potentially dangerous bunch is not an option. That plutonium really did go missing. :!: :!: :!:

4) "The trouble is, then the USA would lose their nuclear base in the Middle East and the dominoes would start to fall and with them the oil fields."

That makes perfect sense and explains just about everything. The US is propping up a rogue state to suit its own ends and using the Palestinians' propensity for gross stupidity as an excuse. :mad: :mad: :mad:

In a few short years the oil will run out and the US will lose interest in the region and it'll all be sorted out for once and for all then.

Sponsored Links
Back