Minimum distance to rear boundary Permitted Development singlr storey

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
I'm trying to make sense of the Permitted Development Technical Guidance. I want to extend my detached house with a 3.6 m single storey rear extension. The garden is 10m to the rear boundary, so 6.4m would be the new boundary distance. The Technical Guidance states 7 for an extension of more than one floor, but I can't see anything for a single storey. Can someone give me the correct information?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
There is no such distance for single storey. 6.4m is absolutely fine.

Thanks for the reply jeds. I don't suppose there is any documentation anywhere that says as much?

Sponsored Links
The documentation doesn't work like that, otherwise you'd need a document which covers every situation and eventuality you can think of. The way it works is the act says very broadly what you can build and lists several specific situations where you can't. e.g. it says;

"(h) the enlarged part of the dwellinghouse would have more than a single storey and —
(i) extend beyond the rear wall of the original dwellinghouse by more than 3 metres, or
(ii) be within 7 metres of any boundary of the curtilage of the dwellinghouse opposite
the rear wall of the dwellinghouse;"

If your situation is not restricted, then it is allowed. There is no restriction in the act for single storey extensions - only two storey, as above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back