Mobile phone 'kill switch'...

Being generous, the technology is now mature enough for it to work.

Being cynical realistic, probably an attempt to deflect from some Tory clusterfudge or other, knowing this shower :cautious:

Well I can't disagree with that -- great for the tabloid headlines!

Sponsored Links

probably only during the 10 seconds it will issue the alert.
Many people have had these alerts already, both in the UK and much testing and use has been done overseas.
In Japan, it was used to alert of the tsunami. It saved thousands of lives.

Frankly, with the threat of war looming, I'd be grateful of a warning that a fleet of bombers were on their way!

If I don't notice the alert and it disables my phone, that might mean that I may be unable to receive calls/texts/etc for however many hours that I have no interaction with my phone.

If I don't notice the alert and it disables my phone, that might mean that I may be unable to receive calls/texts/etc for however many hours that I have no interaction with my phone.
That is not how it works. It does not disable your phone.
It's probably like an alarm on your phone - it rings, and you need to swipe OFF to disable it, before you try to complain about it on social media.

But interestingly...

"Phone users will have to acknowledge the alert before they can use other features on their devices"

Sounds like there may another motive for this scare mongering 'test'.
Making a mass shut down of communications possible should there be civil unrest for example?

More interestingly, here's an idea. Why don’t you wait until it happens before you start complaining about it and if what you say doesn’t happen, that means that you were part of the scare mongering. Hey Wolfie, unless you use burner phones 24/7, you do know 'they' are tracking your every whereabouts, don’t you?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
They have a system in certain states in USA (not sure if its all of them), where alerts are put out in cases of missing people, especially children and senior citizens. Gives an approximate area and as many details as possible, like car details and brief description of person(s)

There may well be some underhand and other reasons for sending out bulk messages, but it is not all bad

That's true. RAF made us all jump on a scout camp a few years back when it was scrambled to intercept a flight UK bound. Was like a bomb going off in the woods.

During the 2010 Olympics the RAF stationed two Typhoons at RAF Northolf. When they took off it sounded like the end of the world. One of my dogs would literally pee himself.

They even had to replace the fencing so that the Typhoons would not blow them over. At a guess, I would say that it was 3 times louder than a hovering Harrier Jump Jet.

That is not how it works. It does not disable your phone.
It's probably like an alarm on your phone - it rings, and you need to swipe OFF to disable it, before you try to complain about it on social media.

Fair enough, early news sources said that it will disable your phone until you acknowledge the alert.

I have turned off the option in the settings on my Galaxy Note.

I may turn it back on after the test.

meter readers still required as meters have to be inspected every so often .
Lol. Never had an inspection and have never been informed (by my provider BG) of one being necessary. I guess if its a once every ten year thing then it will be an irrelevance and not even in the same league as the millions they currently waste on meter readers.

SM are the future boyo. Lump it. (y)

Lol. Never had an inspection and have never been informed (by my provider BG) of one being necessary. I guess if its a once every ten year thing then it will be an irrelevance and not even in the same league as the millions they currently waste on meter readers.

SM are the future boyo. Lump it. (y)
So you never had your meter read then ?
And nope its not every 10 years guess again

No. Nor have I been informed of such. Just more gassy blarney.
you must be the only person in the country that has NEVER ever had their meter read
or as per usual your bumping your gums and talking shyte .

you must be the only person in the country that has NEVER ever had their meter read
or as per usual your bumping your gums and talking shyte .
Gas and electricity suppliers have a licence obligation to inspect their customers’ meters at least every two years, unless we consent to other arrangements.

Lol. You have not thought that one through. There is no inspection regime and never will be. They will likely inspect meters that are either faulty or are showing suspicious readings. I don't lie - my meter has not been inspected nor have I been notified that it will be in the future. As I said, just more gassy blarney.

SM are the cost saving future boyo - lump it.

Gas and electricity suppliers have a licence obligation to inspect their customers’ meters at least every two years, unless we consent to other arrangements.

Lol. You have not thought that one through. There is no inspection regime and never will be. They will likely inspect meters that are either faulty or are showing suspicious readings. I don't lie - my meter has not been inspected nor have I been notified that it will be in the future. As I said, just more gassy blarney.

SM are the cost saving future boyo - lump it.
even when its there in black and white you still cant take it in and i see you are now changing never been read to never been inspected .
And yes there has always been an inspection regime you just didnt know they were doing it for at least the past 40 years probably a lot longer .
You are clearly struggling with how it is done and whether they would be informing you its been done .
SM cost saving future ? so tell me how long that 15 billion is going to take pay back before it starts to save money .
Stick to digging holes its about your limit

so tell me how long that 15 billion is going to take pay back before it starts to save money .
It's already started. And SM's aint going to stop laddie, especially for frightened luddites like yourself. Great money saving devices. Long may their popularity continue.

Never had my meter inspected. Not been informed that my meter is likely to be inspected in the future. I guess I'm just like the millions of other SM beneficiaries that fall under... unless we consent to other arrangements. (y)

Regular inspections my arse, lol.

Blimey you two! :rolleyes:

The document linked above is about proposed changes to the meter inspection regimen in 2015.
Prior to 2015, the inspection of meters would have (should have ;) ) been every two years - although BG already had dispensation to expand the test period, on a trial basis.
Since the proposal was accepted (which had a lot to do with the uptake of smart meters!), the inspection frequency is now determined by the supplier on a risk based approach.

even when its there in black and white you still cant take it in and i see you are now changing never been read to never been inspected .
And yes there has always been an inspection regime you just didnt know they were doing it for at least the past 40 years probably a lot longer .
You are clearly struggling with how it is done and whether they would be informing you its been done .
SM cost saving future ? so tell me how long that 15 billion is going to take pay back before it starts to save money .
Stick to digging holes its about your limit
Im a non smart meter person too. I can't actually see any benefit.

But having been in this house for over 20 years, I certainly haven't had my meter inspected by anybody for at least 10 years, probably more than that

Sponsored Links
Back