Mono pitched roof ... possible

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I got a kitchen extension which is 5 meter long and currently has flat roof (which I am sick and tired of it as its leaking all the time + it looks ugly). So I was thinking about replacing it with mono pitched roof but I am not sure given the meaurement if its possible.

Length of the extension is 5 meter. The extension at the back of the house meaning there is a bathroom window above the extension flat roof. This is about 4 feet above flat roof.

Can someone please advise if its going to be feasible to have mono pitched roof. My worry is that the gradient is not going to be big enough. (I really dont know how to calculate the angle but it looks very low as the extension is 5 meter long from the house wall).

Thanks

Sponsored Links
depends on the make and type of tiles/slate, lowest I've seen is 12.5 degrees, but I can't remember the make. Are you saying the roof is to be pitched over the full 5m with 4' rise?

depends on the make and type of tiles/slate, lowest I've seen is 12.5 degrees, but I can't remember the make. Are you saying the roof is to be pitched over the full 5m with 4' rise?

Are you saying the roof is to be pitched over the full 5m with 4' rise?

Yes over full length of 5 meter. Another option is to go side way mono pitch. So from neighbour's side pitch coming down to my side. As the width of the extension is 3 meter can get steep graident. But then there can be a question of planning permission application and blocking neighbours sunlight ?

Are you saying the roof is to be pitched over the full 5m with 4' rise?

Yes over full length of 5 meter. Another option is to go side way mono pitch. So from neighbour's side pitch coming down to my side. As the width of the extension is 3 meter can get steep gradient. But then there can be a question of planning permission application and blocking neighbours sunlight ?
With the dimensions provided you are talking about 12 degrees this includes for 150mm lead flashing, so it is tight and really limits your choice of tile. Another option is to put a water proof deck on the roof and the tiles are aesthetic only, there was a product called Ondutile or Onduline that could be laid first for lower pitches, not seen it in years though. I have accepted a ply sarking board and two layers of roofing membrane depending on location and exposure, but that would be down to the judgement of building control. I used to work right up in the Pennines and I wouldn't accept this approach but have accepted it elsewhere in more kinder climates.

Sponsored Links
Flat roof 150mm below bathroom window, take it out far enough to get your pitch to wall plate, insulate and weather with lead, epdm or similar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back