Moulded Plug on Dishwasher

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi All,

Dishwasher was acting up, could hear drain pump spinning but wouldn’t wash which I read online can indicate that water got into the bottom of the dishwasher. Pulled the washer out and unplugged it remove the water and check the pipes and the back of the moulded 13 amp plug seems to have melted a little. The pump could have been running for a couple of hours before I noticed. Would this be enough to heat the plug so the back melted? As you can see from the pictures the front of the plug and connectors seem brand new. Popped the fuse out and all the contacts seems perfect. Question is can I continue to use this plug now that I’ve sorted the pump issue in the washer? Socket looks brand new also. Appreciate any info. Thanks!

Attachments

• A67ECDA5-ACD3-40B9-91DF-647043A4345B.jpeg
    A67ECDA5-ACD3-40B9-91DF-647043A4345B.jpeg
    223.8 KB · Views: 154
  • 1C358190-738D-4094-959B-6CE962A6695F.jpeg
    1C358190-738D-4094-959B-6CE962A6695F.jpeg
    239.6 KB · Views: 146
  • FB89D198-5EA0-49D7-8155-F2F3EC4E131B.jpeg
    FB89D198-5EA0-49D7-8155-F2F3EC4E131B.jpeg
    207.9 KB · Views: 143
  • 4DCEC25F-2564-4768-95AF-C8BF0485A8EA.jpeg
    4DCEC25F-2564-4768-95AF-C8BF0485A8EA.jpeg
    199.3 KB · Views: 164
Sponsored Links
Not sure to be honest. It doesn’t smell like melted rubber but what else could it be? It’s underneath a kitchen cabinet.

Sponsored Links
No, I thought that initially as I had seen a post somewhere else that said the black coating on the back of the washer can stick to the plug but this plug is to the side and underneath so not touching the washer at all. Unless it’s mould or something. The washer still had power so it seems like the plug was working fine. Strange.

Yeah, I’ll take all your advice and give it a good scrub and then see if it actually looks like the plastic was melted or if it’s just a strange circle of dirt or mould. Didn’t do that first as it struck me as melted and I wanted a picture.
Thanks! I’ll update you anyway.

you say not, but it looks exactly like the tarry deposit on my plug when it was pressed against the sound-deadening mat on the back of the dwr.

i discovered it when they stuck together firmly and the plug came out after the dwr moved.

i stuck a couple of sheets of non-stick baking parchment to the dwr.

the black mark will not clean off but seems harmless.

maybe your machine was previously fitted by the socket.

So I gave it a scrub and as the stuff was coming off I looked at the back of the dishwasher and as you said I could see the indentation of the plug on the plastic back from when before the kitchen was renovated. I should have seen it. It’s faint. Sorry for bothering anyone. I wasn’t the person that plugged it back in a few years back. Thanks for the advice.

Better to ask about something that turns out to be a non-problem than not ask about something that needs urgent attention.

So I gave it a scrub and as the stuff was coming off I looked at the back of the dishwasher and as you said I could see the indentation of the plug on the plastic back from when before the kitchen was renovated. I should have seen it. It’s faint. Sorry for bothering anyone. I wasn’t the person that plugged it back in a few years back. Thanks for the advice.

I had exactly same with my dishwasher but the plug was quite well stuck and unplugged as I pulled the machine out from under the worktop!

Have you fixed the continuously running pump? There is a float switch down at the bottom somewhere to prevent flooding

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back