Mum scammed by heating engineer or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok bit dramatic but bare with it ....

Contacted (on behalf or mother) combi boiler manufacturer for the number of a local service agent.

Spoke to the independent service agent, provided make and model of boiler.

He confirmed he could service it for £60 + vat (Bedford area)

I asked if he follows the manufacturer's service procedure and he said 'no', he has his own procedure and he has equipment than can check the performance of the boiler.

Booked appointment.

Mother phoned following the service to say 'all is well' with the boiler but was surprised it only took 15mins and didn't expect an additional charge of £25.

Anyway I phoned the engineer and queried the additional charge i.e. over and above the price quoted.

He explained that it was a flue gas test.

I asked why he hadn't informed me of that cost when I booked the appointment.

He said some older boiler dont allow him to connect up his flue test equipment, hence his standard service cost doesnt include.

Again, I asked why he didn't include the 'non optional' cost, given the fact that he had been told which make and model of boiler my mother had.

He said early versions of that make and model didnt allow him to connect his equipment. So he just adds it to the bill when he can.

I asked why he had request additional info on the boiler to enable him to give an accurate quote.

He gave a vague answer about it being a 'part' and sometimes you don't know what parts you need until you start the job.

I asked why he hadn't informed my mother that there was a new 'part' he was adding to the bill and how much it would cost, while he was on-site.

No meaningful answer given.

I also reminded him of the original conversation where he said he had his own service procedure and test equipment (90% sure he described it as a Co test)

Again he backtracked on this, describing it as a PCB test and a check of the on-board diagnostics as part of the standard service.

If you got this far ...... C H E E R S

Any views?

Sponsored Links
He is taking the rise IMHO.

Not worth bothering about now.

Just don't use him again and spread the word amongst you friends/family etc.

It wasn't expensive, and rather like taking a car in, you don't necessarily know what's needed when you start. However, to take 15 minutes AND charge extra, I'd publish his firm's name.

I charge about the same for an oil boiler, and have to add on bits that are peculiar to varying installations, but it sometimes takes a couple of HOURS, not minutes.

let me guess was it Mr Combi?

He is a charlatan.

Sponsored Links
Scammed :eek:

Over charged maybe.

A co check requires him taking a flue gas annalysis, if there was'nt anywhere for him to place his probe at the boiler then he should of gone outside to the flue outlet. He would of had to go outside anyhow to check the flue outlet.

must be a heat only boiler to do in 15 mins. bet he did'nt even remove anything to clean.

£25 on top of price, he'll be down the pub now with his mates curtesy of your mother :rolleyes:

It wasn't expensive, and rather like taking a car in, you don't necessarily know what's needed when you start.

That's true but they do at least inform of the correct initial cost and then phone with a list of extras, which you have the choice of having done or not.

Don't just take bits out of context. There was another sentence to the paragraph.

A co check requires him taking a flue gas annalysis, if there was'nt anywhere for him to place his probe at the boiler then he should of gone outside to the flue outlet. He would of had to go outside anyhow to check the flue outlet.

So is a Flue test required (Corgi?) on all service inspections?

must be a heat only boiler to do in 15 mins. bet he did'nt even remove anything to clean.

It's a combi and is used for hot water and central heating.
I asked my mum what he done during the 15mins on-site.
She said he removed the cover (witnessed)
He then asked her to go to the bathroom and run a hot tap.
After a few minutes he told her to turn off the tap.
When she returned passed her a printout, said it's all OK and proceeded to replace the cover.

Job done .... next :confused:
£25 on top of price, he'll be down the pub now with his mates curtesy of your mother :rolleyes:

There's a twist in the tail ... she only had enough cash for the quoted amount and he asked her to send a cheque for the balance.

I hope he isn't buying a round in tonight off the back of expecting to get the £25 :cool:

Talk to Trading Standards in Bedford. They're quite helpful.

Large organisations pay their guys about £18 a boiler for a "safety check" , which is about all he seemed to do.

PS which firm was it? Promise I won't tell anyone. ;)

Talk to Trading Standards in Bedford. They're quite helpful.

Cheers for the feedback.

I think I may also tip off the manufacturers, as they were the ones that gave me his number.

I know you guys in the trade know the 'usual suspects' when it comes to creative accounting.

I wont 'out' him on a public forum without the right of reply.
So I'll make a couple of calls on Monday including one to him letting him know I dispute his overcharge.

I'll let him know his dubious work practises have been up for discussion on this website .... who knows he might wanna come on here and defend his honour :LOL:

as a heating engineer myself I would say yes
my price for a service is the same whatever the boiler £57 (65 if its a BBU)
flue gas analise included if possible to do certainly would not charge extra for it!

can't even do the paperwork and drink my tea in 15minutes :LOL: :LOL: average time 35mins for job

He is taking the pee totally IMHO.

I charge £55 + VAT for a full service and if applicable a FGA test and print out.

A quote is a quote, if he has f**ked up and not included a FGA test it is his problem, not your mothers.

Unless it is a modern condensing boiler then a FGA will not be required. Atmospheric burners cannot be adjusted with an FGA.

To the OP, i'm not ignoring what has been said by other engineers but just want to try and clarify for you, so please bear with me before quoting ny comments lol.

Contacted (on behalf or mother) combi boiler manufacturer for the number of a local service agent.

Spoke to the independent service agent, provided make and model of boiler.

To me this sounds as if it is quite a new install. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Most boilers fitted within the past few years will have a designated flue gas analysis point to ensure that the correct parameters are fulfilled. The results are then down to the manufacturers instructions as to how best to proceed.

In the majority of cases, nowadays, if the boiler is meeting the required specifications then a "full" service is not necessary. A full and thorough inspection should still be carried out.

This sounds as if it is what you have received. A safety inspection.

If we knew what boiler it was then we could advise on more specific information that you would need.

Most boiler manufacturers still suggest that the sump plate/siphon should still be removed and cleaned but to carry out even a basic visual inspection would still take longer than 15mins!! I don't tink i could be out of the house in less than 30 mins including the drop test, gas rate (as most req the boiler to be warm when carried out), the paperwork, the cleaning / air duster, the cup of tea.

On most new boilers that do require a FGA then the FGA should be included in the price.

However...

If it is found to need a "full" service then you would also need to include the cost of the service kit and labour to provide this service as it becomes alot more involved then to carry out the inspection.

As i have said before if you can give details of the boiler that would be a help as to the work involved.

As a closer, i would say that there is no situation where you should be charged for a Flue gas analysis, this should come as part of the service you expect from a competent engineer. It is not an optional extra that can be decided on by the customer. If the manufacturer requires it then it should be carried out. If he cannot fulfill that procedure then he should not be servicing your appliances.

I agree with the above posts that you should let other people know who may be doing this to them.

I' sure there is probably something i've missed but it is lat and i've got to be out at 7!!

I hope that this gives you a basis to talk to the guy about this matter and i'm sure that, if he were competent, he wouldn't mind reading them either.

Regards Jon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back