Name the thugs

That’s the way to go, Sheriff! If all prisons were like yours there would be a lot less crime and we would not be in the current position of running out of prison spaces.

what are the crime stats and numbers of prisoners over the last ten years in his county, compared to similar ones?

Sponsored Links
Been on both sides of the fence, i don't know why people are not talking about is it National Service ? where you had to go in the army ?would provide jobs, for the yobs?

So have I, but what the hell has that got to do with it.
These dregs are cowards, they only operate in packs, the army doesn't want this sort.
They are out of control and need culling.
Thats what we normally do with animals.

being on both sides of the fence as a lot to do with it, i have a clearer picture

why doesn't the army take these take this sort, ? we need this type of aggression in war?

My children, and most of my friends children,aren't out of control, because we don't let it happen.

it's down to the parents.

A community near us print a newsheet that names and shames the culprits.

The measures being discussed are all irrelevant - you're talking about which brand of sticking plaster to buy.

There are people whose only pastime and outlet is violence, because someone, somewhere, is paying for their upkeep. If they had a job and paid their own way then the problem would go away.

It must be the case that too many parents are giving their children too much money. I have no idea how you go about correcting that problem - it will take a long time though, so there will be violent crime for a long time to come.

Without wishing to fuel joe-90's fire, this is coupled to immigration, because low paid jobs are filled by people with low expectations of salary. With the price of technology-based luxuries constantly falling, and housing needs increasing, we have a perfect breeding ground for an increasing number of relatively rich adolescent offspring living with their parents and having too much time on their hands.

We're screwed.

Sponsored Links
The measures being discussed are all irrelevant
Hardly Softus, societies with harsher punishment regimes have lower incidences of crimes related to those regimes so there is a direct correlation between crime and punishment.

There are people whose only pastime and outlet is violence
Probably true.

because someone, somewhere, is paying for their upkeep.
Not in all cases.

If they had a job and paid their own way then the problem would go away.
This assumes that everyone who carries out mindless acts of violence or other criminal activities either hasn't got a good well paid job or wants one. This clearly isn't the case as some thugs come from good backgrounds with well paid jobs.

MW

societies with harsher punishment regimes have lower incidences of crimes related to those regimes so there is a direct correlation between crime and punishment.

Can you show me the evidence to support this assertion?

It must be the case that too many parents are giving their children too much money. I have no idea how you go about correcting that problem - it will take a long time though, so there will be violent crime for a long time to come.

Without wishing to fuel joe-90's fire, this is coupled to immigration, because low paid jobs are filled by people with low expectations of salary. With the price of technology-based luxuries constantly falling, and housing needs increasing, we have a perfect breeding ground for an increasing number of relatively rich adolescent offspring living with their parents and having too much time on their hands.

We're screwed.

God knows what your background is Softus, but clearly you have no first hand knowledge of the type of individuals who are roaming our streets in packs.
Granted there may be the exceptions whose parents are relatively rich but the majority come from sink estates and have parents who are poorly educated , don't work and, have no idea and don't care what there kids get up to.
In many cases they are the major reason why the kids go off the rails, indeed in some cases they actively encourage them.
We should be fining, and naming and shaming the parents as well as the kids. and maybe then we will see some improvement in the crime rate.
Which PM was it who said," back to basics", if only :cry: :cry:

Can you show me the evidence to support this assertion?
I was waiting for somebody to ask this inevitable forum question.

Do we really always need to produce hard facts to support commonsense understandings on this forum?

How many alchohol-related crimes do you think there are in Dubai (as one of countless examples)? ... Whilst I don't know the numbers (and I don't know where we could get them from) I would happily stake my home on the fact that they will be an order of magnitude smaller per capita than in the UK.

States which have brutal punishments for crimes which in this country are commonplace will have lower incidences of those crimes per head of population ... This is common sense JohnD, try using some. ;)

If the violent element in this country knew that they were going to get 4000 lashes, carried out publically over a period of several years incarceration for a crime they currently get six months community service for they will think twice before carring out such attacks ... Pure human nature and common sense.

The only reason we do not have such a system is because we are civilised in the UK ... Which is another way of saying we have too many do-goody, human-righty, politically correcty, high and mighty hoyty toyty beaurocrats who think we should reason with these a r s e wipes ... Total nonsense.

MW

What we need is mandatory sentences with hard labour and no parole. Carry a gun or knife - and we'll see you in ten years. I'm happy to pay for more prisons, but in my opinion zero tolerance will lead to less crime and less prisons needed.

I agree with zero tolerance but ...

Joe-90 Wrote:
I'm happy to pay for more prisons
I'm not :!:

Make the punishments more brutal and use prisons less ... Prison is not the answer.

Do we really always need to produce hard facts to support commonsense understandings on this forum?

If this is a conversation of assumptions, opinions and prejudices, then No.

If it is about facts and truth, then Yes.

Granted there may be the exceptions whose parents are relatively rich but the majority come from sink estates and have parents who are poorly educated , don't work and, have no idea and don't care what there kids get up to.
In many cases they are the major reason why the kids go off the rails, indeed in some cases they actively encourage them.
We should be fining, and naming and shaming the parents as well as the kids. and maybe then we will see some improvement in the crime rate.

A slight problem there...how do you expect those parents, who as you say are uneducated and don't care, to react to a fine?...

Because you've also said that the majority aren't 'relatively rich'...which means that they'll have to find the money from somewhere (probably more crime), or just ignore the fine in the knowledge that nothing much will happen anyway..

And if you name & shame an 'uneducated' parent, then they'll see it as a 'badge of honour' amongst THEIR mates no less than their kids!!

But apart from that - if the majority of 'offenders' come from 'sink estates' as you say, then unless you do something about that then any other measure is just 'p*ssing in the wind'!!

JohnD Wrote:

Really John?

Water flows downhill due to gravity! ... Do I need to validate that assertion with proof in case you believe that gravity is a lie and the Earth actually sucks?

Even scientists are prepared to accept things as given's without hard evidence :LOL:

I'll let people decide for themselves whether the previous assertion I have made regarding Dubai needs factual proof or not.

In any active debate a degree of common sense is required as well as hard facts.

MW

JohnD Wrote:

Really John?

Water flows downhill due to gravity! ... Do I need to validate that assertion with proof in case you believe that gravity is a lie and the Earth actually sucks?

- Devon men are thieves.

- Immigrants cause unemployment

- Cyclists are responsible for the state of the country

- Taxes are too high

- The death penalty reduces murder

- The world is obviously flat

- White people have lower intelligence than blacks

- Low rates of street crime, but high rates of white collar crime in Monaco and Dubai are due to high levels of prosperity

Any of these can be spouted as "common sense" by people who believe them

I won't believe them until I see evidence

Sponsored Links
Back