Man to challenge attack sentence.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Another example of how the Criminal is viewed as a 'victim' and the actual victim is viewed as a Criminal. This country is upside down!

A Buckinghamshire businessman jailed for injuring a burglar who had attacked him and his family plans to appeal against his sentence, his lawyer said.

Munir Hussain, 53, returned to his High Wycombe home to find three intruders who tied him and his family up.

He managed to escape and chased one of the offenders, hitting him with a cricket bat, Reading Crown Court heard.

Hussain's solicitor said he planned to appeal against his 30-month sentence for grievous bodily harm with intent.

'Revenge attack'

Michael Wolkind, defending Hussain, told the court his client was the "real victim" in the case.

The court heard Hussain and his brother Tokeer, who both live in Desborough Road, chased intruder Walid Salem, leaving him with a permanent brain injury after he was hit with a cricket bat so hard that it broke into three pieces.

Salem was the only intruder caught after the incident on 3 September 2008, but his injuries meant he was not fit to plead after being charged with false imprisonment.

Salem was given a two-year supervision order at a court hearing in September this year.

The Hussain brothers were found guilty after a trial earlier this year.

The prosecution alleged two other men also took part in the so-called "revenge attack" with them.

'Public support'

Munir Hussain was given a 30-month sentence while his brother was jailed for 39 months.

Judge John Reddihough said Munir Hussain's family had been subjected to a "serious and wicked offence" but said he had carried out a "dreadful, violent attack" on Salem.

The judge said: "If persons were permitted to take the law into their own hands and inflict their own instant and violent punishment on an apprehended offender rather than letting justice take its course, then the rule of law and our system of criminal justice, which are the hallmarks of a civilised society, would collapse."

Mr Wolkind said the case had similarities to that of farmer Tony Martin, who shot a teenage intruder, noting there was public support in both cases.

Hilary Neville, prosecuting, said: "What started as reasonable self defence by Munir Hussain then turned into excessive force by virtue of a sustained attack by Munir, Tokeer and at least two others."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/beds/bucks/herts/8413787.stm

Sponsored Links
This was not self defence, and for that reason this man completely over-stepped the mark and deserves to be convicted IMO.

Just imagine if home owners had a licence to do what they wanted on the basis they had been robbed (not including self defence) it would be great for people wanting to enact revenge on others - just invite them round hit them with whatever object was within reach and claim they were intruding!

There are lots of cases where people are wrongly persecuted for this sort of thing but this isn't one of them IMO.

Struth!
All for giving the guy a bit of a kicking but permanent brain damage as justice? OTT no?

The judge said: "If persons were permitted to take the law into their own hands and inflict their own instant and violent punishment on an apprehended offender rather than letting justice take its course, then the rule of law and our system of criminal justice, which are the hallmarks of a civilised society, would collapse."

Should've made a citizen's arrest not attacked him because he wasn't in the property, where do you stop otherwise we will have a violent country, have to agreed with above statement

Sponsored Links
The judge said: "If persons were permitted to take the law into their own hands and inflict their own instant and violent punishment on an apprehended offender rather than letting justice take its course, then the rule of law and our system of criminal justice, which are the hallmarks of a civilised society, would collapse.

Criminal Justice when was the last time that happened?
I'm all for someone protecting your own, but sounds like it was more than the tap around the head with a cricket bat, that caused the damage.
But unlikely to hold someone captive and rob them again though.
If this had not happened he could well be around your house tonight!

what you failed to quote was...

The court heard Hussain and his brother Tokeer, who both live in Desborough Road, chased intruder Walid Salem, leaving him with a permanent brain injury after he was hit with a cricket bat so hard that it broke into three pieces.

They were only behaving like they were in there own country. :eek:

Should've made a citizen's arrest not attacked him
Can you picture that? Now, honestly, can you? I cant. The only language these morons understand is violence. If he hadn't clubbed the intruder, the intruder would have clubbed him.

I dont know all the facts, but in his situation, I'm pretty sure many people would grab the first thing they could do some damage with and gone running after them in order to aprehend them. In his case, it was a baseball bat. Now imagine the things going through his head when he caught up with the man. He's angry, but scared ****less of this man he's confronted with. He has a baseball bat in his hand. He wants to disable the man long enough for the police to arrive, but has never used this weapon in this way. What would you do?

I'm also pretty sure many people have some kind of weapon such as this under their bed / sofa for such an incident, intending to use it if the need should arrive.

Don't make bats like they used too!
I think it was the beating :!: sustained beating :!: that caused the brain damage.

If I had just been tied up and held captive in my own house with family members and my house was getting turned over at the same time. God only knows what they may have been thinking what could happen to them next!
I think I'd be a bit phissed with them too, whether the guy got what he deserved. I don't know but he got something.
In a court of law he and his accomplishes would be out and about doing it again to some poor innocent family. That's if the police could find time to find them and arrest and charge them that is?
If we can't stand up for own, there is something wrong, because there is no one with a wig and gown going deal out the correct punishment.

the question in law, what is appropiate?
the legal system here, cannot issue death sentences or corpral punishment.
what it can do is take into account, due provocation or self defence or both.

the attack with a cricket bat, was after the event.
due to it being after the event, and there was no longer a provocation or threat, the attack became seperated by time from the original event.
so therefore, became an act of revenge.

that is the dispensation of unauthorised and unjudged justice.
society appoints wise men to judge and issue fair justice, it absolves, society as a whole from the responsibility, of having to make judgement.

without it we have chaos, where a few dissilussioned persons would readilly lynch, those they thought rightly or wrongly to have been a perpertrator, or black, gay, having hiv, accused of paedophilia, a dfferent religion, being left wing, being right wing or just simpley being different.

we tread a very dangerous path when we succumb to mob rule or ill informed opinion :!:

Sponsored Links
Back