Napit

Not that new.

It appears in my 1993 Chambers dictionary and propaganda itself goes back to 1622, when the Catholic church formed a committee whose job it was to spread doctrine.

;)

Sponsored Links
Some of you lot here really shouldnt reply if you have not got a clue

Regards

Dave

Bring in the money and stuff the safety :eek:

I have read with interest your replies to this topic and it is very obvious that the majority of you are taliking out of your rear ends. Unfortunatily the electrical industry is not licensed and as such the majority of competent person schemes are profit making businesses. For my sins I have been an approved member of both the NICEIC and NAPIT and to be honest NAPIT are, in my professional opionion, the best of a bad bunch.

Sponsored Links
Jaymack every forum I visit you're there banging on about Napit. You know nothing. Napit will let any fool in and they have done so many times. It also annoys me that you keep going on about 2391 like it's the holy grail. Napit have their own version of this which is below par, so saying that they require 2391 alone is a load of old tosh. It isn't a qualification that is needed when you're carrying out your own installation work, are you going to tell us all that before 2391 existed electricians didn't either? Get real. Somebody also brought up the fact that Napit only assess you on domestic and not any other areas, which for the most part is true. Many Napit members are full scope, but sadly they are not competent to carry out any and all electrical installation work.

Jaymack every forum I visit you're there banging on about Napit. You know nothing. Napit will let any fool in and they have done so many times. It also annoys me that you keep going on about 2391 like it's the holy grail. Napit have their own version of this which is below par, so saying that they require 2391 alone is a load of old tosh. It isn't a qualification that is needed when you're carrying out your own installation work, are you going to tell us all that before 2391 existed electricians didn't either? Get real. Somebody also brought up the fact that Napit only assess you on domestic and not any other areas, which for the most part is true. Many Napit members are full scope, but sadly they are not competent to carry out any and all electrical installation work.

Unfortunately, not a cogent argument! What is so different about industrial or commercial electrical work that is so different from domestic? Practical skills such as conduit, traywork and trunking are easily learned, the theoretical aspect is common to all. Having served 5 years as an industrial apprentice in the steel industry and a fully qualified Electrical Engineer and onetime registered with the NICEIC, I consider myself "not knowing nothing"

The main players within NICEIC registered companies are the ones who are not assessed at all, their qualified supervisors are not required to have any testing and and inspection qualifications and rubber stamp the work carried out by the minions. Every NICEIC PIR and other certificates I've seen, prove that there is a sad lack of ethics/education/qualifications for inspecting and testing within that organisation, this belies your comments.

If you are honest; with working experience of the NICEIC and NAPIT; and can make sensible comparisons between them, you may have some believable reasoning and may be worthy of the argument.

Regards

Unfortunately, not a cogent argument! What is so different about industrial or commercial electrical work that is so different from domestic? Practical skills such as conduit, traywork and trunking are easily learned, the theoretical aspect is common to all. Having served 5 years as an industrial apprentice in the steel industry and a fully qualified Electrical Engineer and onetime registered with the NICEIC, I consider myself "not knowing nothing"

The main players within NICEIC registered companies are the ones who are not assessed at all, their qualified supervisors are not required to have any testing and and inspection qualifications and rubber stamp the work carried out by the minions. Every NICEIC PIR and other certificates I've seen, prove that there is a sad lack of ethics/education/qualifications for inspecting and testing within that organisation, this belies your comments.

If you are honest; with working experience of the NICEIC and NAPIT; and can make sensible comparisons between them, you may have some believable reasoning and may be worthy of the argument.

Regards

Being an NICEIC aprooved contractor, i CAN say the same things about NAPIT and ELECSA, infact alot of napit / elecsa certs are complete b*ll*ck$ I recently witnessed a builder doing his own electrics in a en suite and had the 'electrician' round to sign it off, the woman wasnt happy for the builder to do any additional work but did want an extractor fan installed. I still to this day am very impressed by how the elecsa 'electrician' managed to get a Zs / r1r2 reading on the lighting circuit considering the builder had chopped the CPC's off along with the outer sheath of the insulation. Also, 60A connector blocks from a shower arn't really suitable for connecting a 1.0mm cable to a transformer flex and certainly even less suitable is it is just taped up and shoved in the ceiling. More home truths available upon request.

The main players within NICEIC registered companies are the ones who are not assessed at all, their qualified supervisors are not required to have any testing and and inspection qualifications and rubber stamp the work carried out by the minions.
Jaymack. Despite all you believe to be true, the same can be said of NAPIT, who also register 'enterprises' which employ cheap labour. (Yes, I know they say they don't.)

Every NICEIC PIR and other certificates I've seen, prove that there is a sad lack of ethics/education/qualifications for inspecting and testing...

And the same goes for every electrical registration body out there.

Whatever your reason to continually grind the anti-NIC axe, the facts are that the majority of electricians, qualified or not, are not fully competent to inspect, test and certify or report on either their own or others work.

And whatever you believe, that incompetence will be found whoever the registration body.

So, calm down, lead a good life and give your blood pressure a rest, eh? ;)

The main players within NICEIC registered companies are the ones who are not assessed at all, their qualified supervisors are not required to have any testing and and inspection qualifications and rubber stamp the work carried out by the minions.
Jaymack. Despite all you believe to be true, the same can be said of NAPIT, who also register 'enterprises' which employ cheap labour. (Yes, I know they say they don't.)
Every NICEIC PIR and other certificates I've seen, prove that there is a sad lack of ethics/education/qualifications for inspecting and testing...
And the same goes for every electrical registration body out there.
Whatever your reason to continually grind the anti-NIC axe, the facts are that the majority of electricians, qualified or not, are not fully competent to inspect, test and certify or report on either their own or others work.
And whatever you believe, that incompetence will be found whoever the registration body.
So, calm down, lead a good life and give your blood pressure a rest, eh? ;)

I'm not so much pro-NAPIT as anti-NICEIC, it's the hype from that organisation that galls - the biggest, (as if that should be a criteria) :) , as for being the best and the safest, we all know that not to be the case, unfortunately there are too many of their supporters who deny this.

There is a major problem in general with the means of assessment for all the players, in that it is left to them to put forward their work for this. I'd much prefer an ad-hoc assessment at any time during the the year. The annual assessment as it stands is a sham, of course work will be selected that should be well prepared! Also, there is no requirement to submit copies of reports and certificates on a continual "as issued", this will prevent most of the incompetent documents that I come across, (not to mention the work standards). I only see this with the NICEIC documents but then they are the biggest :)

There are too many electrical organisations/scheme providers around nowadays, all attempting to fulfil the same requirements. I am an advocate of a independent properly administered, licensing system for electricians, as they have in the States and France etc., but then there are not enough movers and shakers around, so the die is cast.................(for now). :)

Regards

How does a licensing system stop don't-give-a-s*** electricians from not-giving-a-s***?

Regards

Being an NICEIC aprooved contractor, i CAN say the same things about NAPIT and ELECSA, infact alot of napit / elecsa certs are complete b*ll*ck$ I recently witnessed a builder doing his own electrics in a en suite and had the 'electrician' round to sign it off, the woman wasnt happy for the builder to do any additional work but did want an extractor fan installed. I still to this day am very impressed by how the elecsa 'electrician' managed to get a Zs / r1r2 reading on the lighting circuit considering the builder had chopped the CPC's off along with the outer sheath of the insulation. Also, 60A connector blocks from a shower arn't really suitable for connecting a 1.0mm cable to a transformer flex and certainly even less suitable is it is just taped up and shoved in the ceiling. More home truths available upon request.

A lot of NAPIT/ELECSA certs are *******s? How many have you seen? I've seen just as many NIC certs that are made up or inaccurate. No testing required to prove otherwise. Not everyone in NAPIT, ELECSA or the NIC are useless.

There's just as many good and bad sparks in ALL schemes.

thevenin Joined: 11 Jul 2010

CanoeBoy Joined: 21 Jul 2010

fredrinator Joined: 21 Jul 2010

shazam Joined: 21 Jul 2010

Rutts Joined: 22 Jul 2010

How come we've suddenly got all these new members joining just to argue with each other about this topic?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back