Napit

Sponsored Links
the only electrical certification i have is Part P!
And there is, of course, no such thing.
if you must be pedantic!! Domestic Electrical Installer Cert
Pedantic? Is there a certificate for a DI with the NICEIC? (It's only applicable to them). I thought it was an appointment and a registry category.

Regards

There is a Domestic Installer qualification, which is a short course very similar to the EAL2 qualification. You need this as an absolute minimum qualification before NICEIC will process your application for site assessment (although they will still happily take your money and enroll you as an unregistered member and start the clock ticking towards your annual renewal!) NAPIT will offer you something very similar if you join with no qualifications.

The link you posted is what NAPIT say you need to join, but they'll still let you in with nothing. (Ask them)

Elecsa will let you join with no qualifications either if you can prove a decent level of competence, you'll probably have to gain the C&G 2382 within a year still though.

Sponsored Links
It's a farce, isn't it.

I wonder what NICIEC, and especially NAPIT, would have said up until 31/12/2004 if you'd said "Hey, I'd like to register with you. I don't have any qualifications but I know what I'm doing."?

It's a farce, isn't it.

I wonder what NICIEC, and especially NAPIT, would have said up until 31/12/2004 if you'd said "Hey, I'd like to register with you. I don't have any qualifications but I know what I'm doing."?

They would say to come back after sitting the regs exam, inspection and testing exam, had sufficient test equipment and you would need to show them proof of two years worth of work too.

I'm not sure how easy it would be to prove your competence though without having at least tried to gain some suitable qualifications as the initial assessment isn't all about plying the assessor with cups of tea and commenting on how dashing he looks in his suit.
You need to know a fair bit about the applicable regulations and H&S/EAWR and how to correctly test an install at least.

A friend of mine met the Napit inspector at a motorway service station to "inspect" his domestic work,not a single fault found in the work!
T :LOL:

The link you posted is what NAPIT say you need to join, but they'll still let you in with nothing. (Ask them)

You would still require to be assessed and gain the qualifications within the required period; or pay another entrance fee when you have the qualifications.
The NICEIC don't even require their qualified supervisors to have 2391, a must as far as I am concerned, but then they are driven by the cash machine. Arkwright and kerching. :LOL:

Regards

Hello.
The very first thing the 'lecturer' told the class of 25 was that there was no need to worry about passing the NIC Domestic Installer course, he guaranteed that everyone would pass :eek: . After this was explained in english to some men that did not understand we proceeded to listen to days of 'jobs that he had seen' or knew of.
I'm sure we did an multiple choice exam at the end, and I remember him walking around and saying to individuals 'have a look at Q20 again etc. This went on until everyones 'paper' was correct enough I suppose. One guy was having real trouble with the english and was still there when I drove off.
An expensive week where I did not learn a thing.

Joined ELECSA in the end. Best by far in my opinion. Having said that, I am not bothering to send my £370 for this year, for me, it's not worth it.
One thing I will say is, when ELECSA kept on about renewing my membership I was told that I would be 'suspended'. (from or off what I didn't ask). After a chat to one of the office ladies I agreed to go for 'voluntary suspension' :eek: !!!

Ed

dingbat said:
There is a Domestic Installer qualification, which is a short course very similar to the EAL2 qualification. You need this as an absolute minimum qualification before NICEIC will process your application for site assessment (although they will still happily take your money and enroll you as an unregistered member and start the clock ticking towards your annual renewal!) NAPIT will offer you something very similar if you join with no qualifications.
NAPIT don't have Domestic Installers.

Regards

NAPIT don't have Domestic Installers.

Regards

Jay, I'm not banging a drum for anybody, but NAPIT will and do accept people with exactly the same entry requirements as NICEIC. NAPIT's only marketing 'schtick' is their hatred of NICEIC and yet they repeatedly demonstrate their inability to maintain the very standards they boast about.

Many fully qualified, time-served and fully competent electricians register with NICEIC as 'Domestic Installer' not because it is a different grade of electrician, but because that is what the NICEIC called their Building Regulations Competent Persons scheme and their only reason for joining is to self-certify building regulations controlled work. A thirty-year-registered Approved Contractor with all the gold stars cannot self-certify building regs controlled work unless he is also registered on the domestic installer scheme (which, in their case is an admin-only exercise)

As well as electricians, the competent persons schemes - all of them - also cover other trades with a need to carry out electrical work as part of their trade. NAPIT also enroll such people, but then pretend that because they don't use the term 'domestic installer' this is somehow superior to other schemes.

Trust me, the 'P' in NAPIT refers only to the fact that their members charge for their services, it could just as easily be an 'A', for 'amateur'. The level of competence demonstrated by registrants on all the schemes often leaves something to be desired, but at least they have put themselves up for scrutiny, but don't fool yourself that NAPIT have higher standards than any other because the evidence is they simply that they don't.

I know. I see members of all the schemes and they are all as bad as each other although some are more propagandised than others.

(I blame the parents .) :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back