Neighbour complains that they can overlook;

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a neighbour 55 metres away, and 4m higher up altitude-wise on the other side of a line of sycamore. Last year got a text from the neighbouring husband saying "our kitchen window can see into your bedroom, you might want to get a blind".

I dont particularly want to get a blind, neither does my partner; it's an arch window and the statement piece of the room. Fitting blinds to it would make it look carp, and I don't care in the slightest that they have the potential to overlook from such a distance..

Just had the wife round banging on the door complaining how she "had a friend round for coffee and was mortified that she could see in", it's "not the first time we've been told", "it's important that we get on as neighbours" and, "get a blind; [she] doesn't want to have to tell us again".

-

I don't think legally anyone cares about such a great distance, and I think you'd have to have a fairly decent set of eyes and intent to stare to make anything out anyway, but the point about needing to get on as neighbours is valid and much as it irks me that they have the problem and expect me to provide a solution, I'm casting around for solution suggestions. I like seeing the sunrise but I'm not completely averse to mirror filming the glazing if i can find one that doesn't cut down hugely on what I can see when I look out. PDLC would be ideal if it wasn't so eyewateringly expensive and would be clear without a power supply, but it looks like one has to pay to make it clear rather than pay to make it opaque..

Sponsored Links
55 metres ffs? Let them get their own blind. But who doesn't draw the bedroom curtains at the appropriate times?

Blup

Plant a tree on the boundary.

I find a bay grows quite fast and keeps its leaves in winter

I give the prunings away to keen cooks.

Sponsored Links
55 metres ffs?
I know :/
Let them get their own blind
Their kitchen window has a blind!?
But who doesn't draw the bedroom curtains at the appropriate times?
People who don't have curtains.. :)
Plant a tree on the boundary.

I find a bay grows quite fast and keeps its leaves in winter
Got a sycamore already, and no compaints in summer when it's in leaf... The eucalyptus I put there isn't growing as fast as I'd like, but I could try a bay..

Don't walk around naked in house and causing a disturbance for neighbours.

It does seem to a coming concern amongst a certain group of people, in my home village village for one. Every first floor extension the council object too on the grounds that the extension will overlook the neighbours....

But in your case this sounds like someone who is puritanical or wants to protected her children from seeing others.

When were the respective houses built? Which order? Was there objections at the time?

Perhaps they consider Robin and his partner to be unsightly?

It does seem to a coming concern amongst a certain group of people, in my home village village for one. Every first floor extension the council object too on the grounds that the extension will overlook the neighbours....
Indeed; can find plenty of "the neighbours overlook me and I'm bothered about it" threads - this more the other way round, "the neighbours are taking issue that they can overlook and I couldn't give a..."

But in your case this sounds like someone who is puritanical or wants to protected her children from seeing others.
They've left home, youngest is 20-something

When were the respective houses built? Which order? Was there objections at the time?
Theirs 50 years ago then ours 10 years ago. No objections at the time, or for 8 years. Get on great otherwise

I'm going to go against the tide here and say I do understand their point of view. 55m isn't a huge distance, they have a right to not having boobs and todger waved around in front of them.

Perhaps find a way of behaving respectably?

It would be interesting to know the legal position on this. Presumably if you walked down the high street naked some sort of action would result.

It's a question of whether standing starkers in a window is indecent or not. I really don't know the answer but I'd get annoyed at this.

I am not a lawyer but I can't imagine that it is legal to stand near your window with the curtains open waving your bits about, for the neighbours to see.

There must be a line somewhere between indecent exposure by one party and the other party being a peeping tom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back