Nephology

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I love looking at the sky and trying to predict the weather. You can be pretty accurate, with a bit of practice. I'm not an expert by any means, but I can normally work out what's going on from the sky. Does anyone else do this?

Sponsored Links
This is my method.....
IrishWeatherMachine1.jpg

I have a book called "Air Riders Weather" which aims to teach hang gliders, para gliders etc how to recognise from the cloud formations what the weather is about to do. Quite an interesting book if you into that sort of thing.

Sponsored Links
turns out he was 14 when he wrote it.
I've never seen someones age as a barrier to their achievements.

I pump a LOT of my £cash into motorcycle sport . . . . . & I can name quite a few 14yr olds (& under) who can ride that bike around Donny much better than you or I ever could.

I think that by the age of 6 I was capable to define the immediate weather with an instinct to know when to head for home.

I love looking at the sky and trying to predict the weather. You can be pretty accurate, with a bit of practice. I'm not an expert by any means, but I can normally work out what's going on from the sky. Does anyone else do this?

I just use my weather station, combined with rain radar web sites, if rain might be an issue.

I just look out of the window.
Pretty much.
MOst weather comes from the west and you usually know if it isn't, so look the right way.
You can often see a front, and the clouds & wind speed give a reasonable idea. I think it becomes largely intuitive.

If it's morning, wait until 9 and it'll change if it's going to - surprisingly often!

If you can see Pendle Hill it means that it is going to rain.

If you can't see Pendle Hill it means that it is already raining.

If can just hear the trains, the wind is from the north and it's going to become colder. If instead I just 'sense' their passing, it's fine.

Our old Irish neighbour who immigrated from the west (atlantic) coast of ireland read the weather and the clouds almost infallibly. He could predict rain from the cloud structure and formation and temperature. I don't remember him ever getting it wrong.

Blup

Sponsored Links
Back