Never mind self checkout tills .No checkouts at all

Sponsored Links
Technology will get beyond the capabilites of most crooks and nogooders.

Obviously there will always be the exception.
I think the opposite.

As new ideas are found, there are people out there looking to break them

Yep so much easier with smart phones .
Look at who it usually is holding up the Queue in shops /ticket machines /boarding pass machines at airports etc etc . The smart phone user
Yep.
Went to central London today and there was a queue to pass the gates at my local station.
All the halfwit imbecils with phones trying to get through.
I jumped the queue of the braindead and passed with my paper ticket, half a second later I was on the other side.
3 minutes later I hot on the train and the tech monkeys were still at the gates...

Sponsored Links
No. Too slow.
I can give most skiers a good go. The top few do leave me behind.

My mates an absolute machine on a snowboard. We’ve been at it since the 90’s. He’s done a few seasons and his dad is out in Sweden.

I started on skis but snowboarding was getting trendy at the time.

I can give most skiers a good go.
Not only is snowboarding slow, it's painful getting about too. One of our party tried it, but the slopes are set up for skiers and not, one plank-ers. Soon gave it neck. Must look good to a 12yr old though. (y)

Not only is snowboarding slow, it's painful getting about too. One of our party tried it, but the slopes are set up for skiers and not, one plank-ers. Soon gave it neck. Must look good to a 12yr old though. (y)
I’ve experienced both. There’s no difference getting about any slope if you’re competent.

Dicks on sticks are always a bit too ridged to look good. But most skiers do wear snowboard clothing to at least try and look good.

There’s no difference getting about any slope
Sounds to me as though you have never been on a mountain.

drag..drag..shuffle shuffle..back on your ass...drag drag...shuffle..shuffle..back down on yer ass...drag..drag..strap strap. Great for energetic teens though. Boarders have to plot their way around a mountain in case they come across a flat bit any longer then two foot, lol. We always tell the boarders to go on ahead as we always pass them. Don't mind giving the odd boarder a helping drag though - happens often on the slopes.

Horrendous way to get about on a mountain.

Last edited:
Sounds to me as though you have never been on a mountain.

drag..drag..shuffle shuffle..back on your ass...drag drag...shuffle..shuffle..back down on yer ass...drag..drag..strap strap. Great for energetic teens though. Boarders have to plot their way around a mountain in case they come across a flat bit any longer then two foot, lol. We always tell the boarders to go on ahead as we always pass them. Don't mind giving the odd boarder a helping drag though - happens often on the slopes.

Horrendous way to get about on a mountain.
I think you might be on a different planet! Or you’ve seen some terrible snowboarders.

It’s very rare my board comes off on a slope and even rarer I have to scoot along.

I’m not sure where you ski, but I’ve probably been down faster.

Decathlon has a similar system.

Drop purchases in till receptacle.
Till scans the tags itself.
Buy.
That will use RFID tags, and will be reliable. They're passively powered radio transmitters that send a unique code when in the proximity of the detector. They cost money, so worth having on sportswear, this not only saves the cost of checkout staff but also helps prevent shoplifting.

But it's not going to make financial sense to put an RFID tag on a bottle of milk, as the tag would cost more than the profit margin on the product. So instead they're using cameras to watch what you're doing, identify the product, check if you're putting it in your bag or not, all decided by computer software.

There are bound to be huge issues with this - people being charged for items they didn't take or not being charged for items they did take. The local kids will soon work out how to make the computer think you're putting something back while not doing, e.g. take two, put one back etc.

I doubt it's going to work reliably, and may put lots of customers off going at all or returning after a bad experience.

Nonsense, never see that in any Asda supermarket, they are always considerate.

Maybe it's just you.
Wow, you're impressive. You have eyes on every single checkout in every single Asda store 24/7, how do you do it?

Kind of related to this thread, I was thinking about going to Blackpool Pleasure Beach this year, haven't been for a few. You used to get a wristband when entering the park then scanned it when going onto a ride. Never really had any issues with that method. Apparently during covid they changed it to e-tickets instead of the wristband. Customers then use their phone, passing it over a scanner at each ride. However the system is apparently pretty rubbish, queues being delayed as guests struggle to get scanned through, folks phones getting damaged (e.g. dropping them at the scanner or water getting in on water rides.) There are calls for the park to return to wristbands as it worked better.

My point is technical progress isn't always best for the customer, however when it comes to self-checkout, from a customer perspective I don't really see many negatives.

Sponsored Links
Back