New Gas Fire spillage test Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

we recently had a corgi registered Gas Man fit a brand new Winther browne septre II gas fire.

Before installing he checked the precast flu with a smoke bomb and it was fine. He then fitted the fire and conducted 2 spillage tests and all was good.

The following day british gas arrived to do the annual safety check and failed the new fire on the spillage test.

We contacted the Gas man who installed the fire and he returned. He tested again and said

In the centre it was fine, either side of the centre there was no spillage but right at the edge there was spillage. He said he would need to speak to the Manufacturer of the fire for confirmation that this was ok.

We decided to contact the Manufacturer too and they have informed us that spillage at the side is normal from heat reflection but are not happy to put their name to this for fear of legal reasons.

Hmmmm so we are now confused and concerned that we have paid a qualified person to fit a fire , he knew british Gas were testing it the following day and carried out his own tests and was happy.

I have been told by others who have a focal point fire that their manual says the test should not be carried out at 50mm from outer edges is this correct?

are their any guidelines available from the gas safety board that we can access?

I hope someone can shed some light on this for us.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
every manufacturer has their own instructions for the spillage test

these override everything else

IE what focal point say dont mean jack as they didn't make the fire

the bg man had the same instructions to hand i take it :?: :?:

Hi

British gas and the chap that fitted the fire had the manual to hand.

I am so confused!

no probs get the lot together or tell them to get their collective fingers out

iv'e had this exact prob before

2 corgi inspectors the manus service manager and bg

i arranged it

if the job is right let them loose

if somebody don't want it
well make your own mind up on that one :idea:

Sponsored Links
Thanks Kev

Will try and arrange it. It just seems to be dragging on, meanwhile we are £500 lighter and have a fire with a big condemned sticker across it !!

Its frustrating that their isn't one standard

try fitting the things as a subbie :cry: :cry:

it all comes down on you

the only standard is the instructions override everything else

the rest is guidelines and good practice

if yer mans right tell him to fight his corner

i did and i won ;)

Get your fitter to check precast flue dimensions.

Some time ago I was called to rectify defect on a fire that was spilling in a similar way, only a little worst. The flue was extended above the roof with no improvement. Checking the precast cross sectional area indicated the chimney to be undersized which caused the fire to spill.

I could walk away from the job as customer had purchased the fire from a salesman in a fire showroom.

Get your fitter to check precast flue dimensions.

Some time ago I was called to rectify defect on a fire that was spilling in a similar way, only a little worst. The flue was extended above the roof with no improvement. Checking the precast cross sectional area indicated the chimney to be undersized which caused the fire to spill.

I could walk away from the job as customer had purchased the fire from a salesman in a fire showroom.

Thanks

The Gas man purchased the fire for us after he had been to the property to assess the opening dimensions & flue etc.

The property was built in 89 and we had a very similar fire in for 19yrs which passed last yrs gas saferty inspection.

I will mention this but will be frustrated if he hasn't already checked this.

Thanks again & fingers crossed for a resolution

did BG issue a riddor if not there is some confusion regarding testing procedures.
has the gas rate been checked.

I'd be interested to know how much you are paying BG to check the work of your engineer? They have completed the ASV.

If 'spillage at the side is normal from heat reflection' then the manufacturer should put it in the manual.

Well done to the BG engineer for doing his job well. Far too much slagging of BG on this site.

The BG engineer should RIDDOR the other engineer. I'm sure that if tables were turned BG would be hung.

Why would you RIDDOR him, flues can work one day and not another due to weather conditions etc.
I once found a flue not working after fitting a part for another engineer who had left the boiler working. The customer had watched the previous bloke do the smoke testing and said "when he done that yesterday all that smoke went up the chimney".

I'd be interested to know how much you are paying BG to check the work of your engineer? They have completed the ASV.

If 'spillage at the side is normal from heat reflection' then the manufacturer should put it in the manual.

Well done to the BG engineer for doing his job well. Far too much slagging of BG on this site.

The BG engineer should RIDDOR the other engineer. I'm sure that if tables were turned BG would be hung.

We weren't getting BG to check his work, it was a pre organised landlord safety check. We pay a monthly premium for british gas to look after gas & electrics in the property & conduct annual check.

Pre-cast flue could be full of cobwebs. Had this before, when flue test passed but spillage failed.

I takes very few cobwebs to make it fail. Pre-cast flues only just about work at the best of times.

Has anyone fitted or tested this fire before?

Sceptre II Multiflue Gas Inset Fire with Remote Control(Winther Browne)

The man we employed tested it several times before and after BG came. They tested it several times also.

The gas fitter we employed said he thought it was fine but now wanted confirmation from the Manufacturer to be sure because british gas condemned it.

Thanks to everyone for your guidance & comments

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back