New Job

securespark said:
Leaving S/E as it is not cost-effective for me to gear up for PP - I'm working (lawfully) outside PP at the moment.

well done government. another SE person who has had to leave SE because of stupid laws

Sponsored Links
Good Luck too.

One thing I found hard in my (short) period of PAYE was the loss of flexibility with my time. OK I didn't get payed hols when S/E but I could always swap a few appts around to get to the kids' sports days, etc. When employed some Numpty (that'd be the boss) would always throw a last minute spanner in any arrangements I had. Still, you'll only have (hopefully) one boss, you'll be leaving behind the 365 bosses you previously had who'd expect you to be spending 364 days sat on your rear waiting for their call!!

Once again, good luck :D

Yeah, know what you mean mm...

'Tis a good thing to be your own boss and be flexible, but hopefully the celery will make up for that.. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
CALL ME JONAH , CALL ME CYNICAL ..

but whats the big bad AWFULNESS ...about this job ..??

securespark

I love you to bits ... at times .. lol ...

CHRIST YOU sold it us like a slick double dealing /PR guy for a shotty company .. sorry .. huurrth. hurgh .. BULLSHOT!!!!....

If I was took on by such a wonderful firm I would be say THeir name unless the Gestapo/Taxman ...

these firms great ...... Brit Gas (30 yrs ago Classic firm )or Manweb (20 yrs ago Classic firm)Manchester Water Board (15 yrs ago classic firm ..)

securesparks .. LOL

I dont care ....I hope youre happy!!???

an have ALWAYS AN EXIT ROUTE ...too the next project ,

as if you are not flexi your dead in the market place , keep your eye open for better EVERYTHING , an best of luck ..take care ;)

securespark said:
all employees (once trained) become competent persons.

If only this was true in the literal sense ;)

Imagine, if you could go on a course, and the instructor (or "facilitator") could just wave their wand and everyone would magically be competent in that subject :LOL:

It would certainly justify the cost of training courses ;)

I suppose a lot of it is down to frame of mind. I take every aspect of my work very seriously, but I know many don't. This may sound really corny, but I have always strived to do my very best, not just for the customer, but for me too.

If you have the right frame of mind, you can come out of any training sesh a better person, but I have seen many who just want to scrape by with the bare minimum of effort.

Just got home from first week.........Information overload!!

Of course, as expected, their MO is very different to the way I've been running SES.

Got a decent van, brand new equipment including an all-in-one tester, mobile, lap-top etcetera..

Two more weeks of hotel coming up.....!

What did surprise me was a company called now rep (re-arrange letters!) are spending, get this, seven solid months at the hotel while they are training....

What are they training them to be, FFS? We've asked them, and they don't seem to know why they are there (??)

Bless them.....

securespark said:
......... now rep (re-arrange letters!) What are they .... FFS? We've asked them, and they don't seem to know (??)
I bet the Hotel air is crackling with electricity ... and the cooking of steaks .. quaffing of wine and beer, for some anyway .. not the more 'reverand' of course ! ;)

Back from 2nd week - less information overload......

Few surprises:

Told not to do P-N insulation test. That will trip protective device even if no earth present, so we are not to bother. Plus, it will mean not having to disconnect sensitive equipment as well.

Told capping is not necessary - just bury T&E straight in wall.

Visual inspection offered by this company includes an EFLI test on GF socket, plus inspection of accessories and CU. No removal of accessories or inspection of cable.

How do we know the CU & accessories are not new with old cable behind?

Bonjour, mon vieil acronyme !

Time and motion .... If there are rules then pare them to the minimum .. Work to the bare limit of the law .... Welcome to the world of targets and ever tightening screws....
:cry:
How do we know the CU & accessories are not new with old cable behind?
Believe f/a of what you hear and only 10% of what you see.... Enterprise, an end in itself .. ;)

Simon, brave decision and I sincerely hope it works out, but having read your last post I wonder how long you can stay knowing that they are telling you do things that are considered Bad Practice by the vast majority in the industry.

Your not the only one leaving the industry, I have put my flat and house on the market and I am relocating to Spain in the new year, I already have some 9 months work with loads on the cards, simply awaiting building permission from the authorities.

I've had enough of the UK and their stupid unworkable bullshit laws and regulations.

The Governemtn are simply trying to destroy the Self-Employed in the UK, and they are slowly succeeding... :evil:

Big_Spark

as I tried to say in my drunken rant above all the major utilitys have destroyed themselves inwards by not rewarding their own staff , an many leaving , I can honestly say in Greater Manchester there are more Corgi lads semi employed fighting for the crust of work ...
we have agencies who work it with the Blue chip companies to employ lads , they are TOLD 6 JOBS A DAY ... if you dont complete by cutting corners to complete which they know you must do by the "Time an motion studies monkies "
securespark
as above take care , watch your back an be ready too jump ship ... its all very "cider with rosies "as the trainers will instill til your out on lonesome , getting sh*t from clients ,parts are NOT ordered delievered (I remember THAT HASSLE from my time at Transco ,lol),supervisors will BULLY an stress you as a weak lil idiot , then there are extras like the van , if it goes wrong are you to blame ?its never serviced an conks out will your firm blame/charge you ?
If you fit an electrical system "quickly " as too keep up an some one is hurt/burnt /dead an the HSE come in an they say you didnt extra check or fit this or that , will your firm stand behind you

(as Transco do ,they maybe wa**ers but they look after staff )

or wash there hands of you an make a noose for the hse too hang you with .. ???????
securespark
sorry for the negative waves but just watch your back ;)

btw ....THAT IS A GOOD CLAIM
RSI injury of using lap top in a van , B/Gas were found guilty recently an paid out for it ...
+ with you peeling an onion in your kitchen , an then having a photo shoot with all your many ,many kids wailing an your wife sobbing next to you for the Heart rendering story about how your Fab Firm threw you on the scrap heap after you said the laptop was making you ill ..lol..

you will be another Z list celeb like Jade Goody , LOL ..LOL (only kidding ... mate as Goody did get naked on tv .. lol)

Back for good, you'll be sad to hear, folks!

Big_Spark said:
they are telling you do things that are considered Bad Practice by the vast majority in the industry.

Jim, which bit particularly? Or all of it?

Moz

Not naiive, but have seen no evidence of what you suggest in this company. Yet.....!!!!!!

As long as you do your testing comprehensively and record the results, then they will back you to the hilt.

You worked for Transco?

Sponsored Links
Back