New Job

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Start my new job Tuesday as a domestic energy assessor and also selling "free" insulation to the general public as part of the government drive to insulate Britain.

For some people on low incomes the insulation will be totally free so think I am going to be busy.

Has anyone on here had any experience of this trade or it the market already mature.

I am told that there is a lot of demand but some say that Joe Public is very sceptical about anything free! :confused:

Sponsored Links
If someone knocked at your door or phoned you up with an offer of something free Bahco, would you be sceptical?

I hope you're already looking for another job as you have just signed up to another government **** up.

Have had these clowns round a few times offering me free insulation. Even if I had none I wouldn't take their offer. I'll insulate my home on my terms, no one elses.

Sponsored Links
Have had these clowns round a few times offering me free insulation. Even if I had none I wouldn't take their offer. I'll insulate my home on my terms, no one elses.

cajar! you are obviously not a true Scot!! A true Scot would accept anything that was being given FREE!! :D :D

company's offering free insulation do exist, we had our bungalow loft space insulated, totally free, I was sceptical at first, but they arrived on time did an excellent job, and left without me signing anything, there was no mention of payment.

Wotan

You are already paying for it through your higher electricity bills.

So don't think of it as free, think of it as getting what you have been forced to pay for.

You are already paying for it through your higher electricity bills.

So don't think of it as free, think of it as getting what you have been forced to pay for.
I'd rather the extra money I'm now paying was spent on a few more windmills. Ideally one of those that just looks the part but isn't actually connected up so even if it did generate anything, not a single joule would come down the wire, as there isn't one.

Hip hip hip, hoorah!

You'll pay for your 'free' loft insulation when your local plumber comes around to do some pipework in your loft.

With the increasing popularity of 6 feet deep loft insulation, even the simplest loft plumbing job, or electrical work for that, becomes a pain. The house holder doesn't know where the pipes are hidden, and nor do you. When you find some pipes, you can't just start cutting into them to work. You have to identify what they are, and where they run to of from.

This entails moving lots of loft insulation. On bigger jobs, I have to bill the owner for a couple of hours or more so that I can don my PPE and move all the insulation out to the eaves/edges of the loft space. They lay it all back properly afterwards. Often insulation is doubled up, bottom strips run one way, top layer laid across.

To anyone going for deep loft insulation, I recommend you draw a plan of where your pipes run before hiding everything. The Space Blanket insulation is better, because being encapsulated in plastic, it's easier to move around for maintenance, etc in loft.

some outfit came round to my mums house and promised the earth,she agreed to have wall insulation carried out,they arranged something like in 2 mths time.this was before the summer.

they never turned up,she received a phone call saying they made a mistake could they re arrange the appointment,long story short she is still waiting,she either receives phone calls or letters telling her there not coming.
ive heard of excuses but i think theyve used them all up.

dunno whats going on with them.

still when they do finally turn up my mums going to tell them she dont want it done,purely because of the constant b.ull5hite. :rolleyes:

Start my new job Tuesday as a domestic energy assessor and also selling "free" insulation to the general public as part of the government drive to insulate Britain.

For some people on low incomes the insulation will be totally free so think I am going to be busy.
Busy being abused on the doorstep :mrgreen: Seriously tho` hope it goes well - you must need a job to do that one

company's offering free insulation do exist, we had our bungalow loft space insulated, totally free, I was sceptical at first, but they arrived on time did an excellent job, and left without me signing anything, there was no mention of payment.

Wotan
Same with me. A very decent chap cold called and explained the government scheme which gives energy companies targets to meet. It was powergen who gave me my loft insulation even though I do not get my power off them. 10 days after his call my loft was done very efficiently by 2 young guys. I was so impressd I gave them a sizable gratuity

Sponsored Links
Back