New Year ritual

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On the bus, heading for local shopping centre, I happened to spot a large queue of cars, all waiting for the services of a car cleaning gang and mentioned it to Wendy at the side of me. She said it was usual to get everything clean and sparkling for the New Year in Scotland, house, car everything. I cannot say I have ever heard of this ritual, not that I take much notice of such rituals. Anyone else?

Sponsored Links
Yes, it’s normal in Scotland to go cleaning crazy on Hogmanay, you can’t go into the new year with a dirty house. Heaven forbid, you don’t know what might happen.
Who else goes first footing, is it a country wide thing?

Last edited:
It's a woman thing. Get the house all sparkly for the new year.
Family, friends, neighbours pop in for a quick chat and, as hostess, she offers them something a bit stronger than tea/coffee, (because it's New Year ;) ).
Result? You end up with 20-30 people in your house and a party is in full swing before you know it. Your beer stocks get depleted, your lunch food you were going to take to work this week has been scoffed and, worst of all, that bottle of 15year old single malt you were saving for your anniversary next year has been glugged and you didn't even get a drop because you were looking after 84 year old auntie Mavis who thought she could still slide down the bannister like she did as a young girl!
Then the next morning the lady of the house is tearing a strip off you for inviting everyone to doss down where they could!

In far Eastern culture some things are unlucky on New Years Day, and some things are taboo.
Then with the mix of Eastern and Western culture, for some subsequent generations, some distant remembered Eastern New Years Day traditions are practised on Western New Years Day.

Sponsored Links
Yes, it’s normal in Scotland to go cleaning crazy on Hogmanay, you can’t go into the new year with a dirty house. Heaven forbid, you don’t know what might happen.

Wendy cannot be very traditional Scottish as she claims then. She given the kitchen a bit bit of a scrub, as she was off work / on holiday anyway, but I went mad with the vac a couple of days ago.

Is that first footing with a piece of coal?

Yes, and maybe some Shortie, Black Bun and a dram etc.
Still got a piece of coal in the outside meter cupboard so FIL could pick it up and first foot, always used to call NYD after breakfast, sadly no more

Is a dark-haired male still required to carry out this malarkey?

I don't know whether to risk a year's bad luck if I go woke, or my windows smashed by the local wokes if I don't. :cautious:

In England, we'll have to deal with the coal issue before 1/1/2024. Perhaps trust our luck in a bit of BBQ briquette from the BP garage?

Traditions eh? :rolleyes:

Well, I just loaded the dishwasher and put the rubbish out. Does that count as a clean up? I think I've been reliving my student days while my wife is away...

One more load and we're good!
IMG_20211231_183731218.jpg

Sponsored Links
Back