Nice bit of turning.

Sponsored Links
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As an electronics tech, my training only covered the basics and I spent most of my workshop time ducking and diving avoiding the 'bits' as they broke off and pinged across the room. It was the marine engineers who were the true artists of the 'turning' trade.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Done some basic turning such as re-bushing bearing housings and skimming commutators but nothing like turning a thread, even a basic one.

Sponsored Links
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of my training exercises was to turn a square thread and an acme thread - both around 25mm diameter and 300mm long. We had to turn a nut to fit them too.
We were allowed to lap the parts together with brick dust (really) but the ultimate test was to exchange parts with another student and see if they still fitted.
We had to grind our own cutting tool and fit it into a parting off tool holder - just to get the springiness required.
The material we used was a mild steel with a lead content, which gave a lovely finish.
The lathes we used were Colchester Students or a large Harrison with a friction clutch, which occasionally sprung into drive on its own :eek:
John :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Abomb79 is worth a look if you're into lathe work, he's an excellent machinist.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That video has appeared in my YouTube feed but never bothered watching.

I'm glad I did, it's quite fascinating

Sponsored Links