NICEIC Domestic Installers

Sponsored Links
During a conversation with an area manager who works for a national kitchen and bathroom fitting company I learnt that you don’t need any electrical qualifications to get around the Domestic Installer Scheme.

His company has a few qualified supervisors spread across the country who look after the NIC side of the things but the installs are all done by “in house trained” sub-contract kitchen and bathroom fitters with no electrical qualifications whatsoever.

When the jobs finished they send the QS out to do the testing if they think it’s required, if not they issue the certificate from the office!

I don’t know how long this will go on for before the NIC start clamping down but it’s becoming a bit of a farce.

We all know how easy it would be to steer the NIC away from jobs we didn’t want inspected so I can only assume this must be happening.

Our next NIC inspection is due in September and I’m going to pass on the companies details because this really gets my back up. :evil:

Mine too, whats the point of doing it properly if kitchen co thinks they can drive coach and horses thru it. :mad:

Sponsored Links
I come across work and PIR's done by NICEIC companies on a regular basis which is a friggin disgrace. Very common scenario, big company, been approved contractor for years and send out kids and idiots out to work. Result=crap quality control. To be honest, they can get away with leading the area engineer by the nose, by showing him jobs done by their better sparks. After all it's only once a year. A shame really, as their are some terrific sparks out there who do care. :D

*Reminder:

Not all us NICEIC sparks are cowboys who take the wee wee out of our membership ;)

(I'm NOT a DI by the way)

Across the board there are cowboys.

Try to find a good solicitor, for example... yet they all belong to what apears to be an immensely powerful regulatory body.

Few accountants appear to have their clients' interests at heart, fewer still are up to speed with current tax rules, yet accountants are often recommended as essential for small businesses.

Taxi drivers are supposedly vetted and take their passengers lives in their hands, yet are amongst the worst drivers on the roads at times.

The fact is, human beings can't be trusted (in the main) to do what they are supposed to do... I wouldn't want one working on my property! ;)

Dunno about you lot but I got a conscience. I'm currently applying for my NIC DI & if I thought any of my work went up i smoke, I'd be pretty pi**ed off. I would do every job as if I was working on my own house. You cant apply for Approved Contractor until you've done at least 6 months of DI anyway.

Norv, well done on taking the plunge. It wil be worth it in the long run, I promise.

I regularly teach C & G 2391 and come into contact with lots of apprentice-trained, time-served, 'proper' sparks who can't hold a candle to intelligent, honest, want-to-do-it-right Dometsic Installers.

When it comes down to it there are three things that count; academic knowledge, practical expertise and experience. Get the right combination of these and it matters not what route you took.

It is, a bit, but I'm always horrified at the lack of preparation of students and the truly appalling grasp of what is, let's face it, pretty basic mathematics.

I must admit I was pretty shocked by the amount of people who got up and walked out I think, after the 1 hour minimum time limit in the June exam.

Norv said:
You cant apply for Approved Contractor until you've done at least 6 months of DI anyway.

Norv, 6 months experience after a 5 day course does not prepare you for commercial/industrial work. Given that, what advantage do you thing AC membership give you over DI?

In a recent post you stated 'you had heard of a problem with fluorescent light in a workshop making moving equipment appear stationery'. This would be covered on the 2360 (2330), but would be beyond the scope of a DI course. If you hadn't heard of this effect, nothing would have stopped you installing unsuitable equipment.

March 2007 C&G 2391 report..

I was one of the 57% to pass... and I had finished in an hour.. but i sat there for the last hour and twidled my thumbs so as to not discourage the 2 guys from my works also on the course..

the key word in DI is DOMESTIC.. doesn't cover industrial or comercial..

Spark123 said:
I must admit I was pretty shocked by the amount of people who got up and walked out I think, after the 1 hour minimum time limit in the June exam.

Did my 2391 start of last year the minimum time lapsed (I thought it was half hour) & we were 4 blokes down, they just got up with lots of shruggung of shoulders & shaking of heads & left.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back