NICEIC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This forum gives a lot of stick about NICEIC, and claims they make up the rules as the go along, and that sort of thing.

Can anyone share any thoughts and experiences on this please.

Sponsored Links
This forum gives a lot of stick about NICEIC, and claims they make up the rules as the go along, and that sort of thing.

Can anyone share any thoughts and experiences on this please.
As long as you can demonstrate that you are complying with BS7671 then the NICEIC shouldn't give you any trouble. The Area Engineer will expect that you are working to the current iteration of the IET Wiring Regulations, but if you believe that his view on something is incorrect then open BS7671 and show him why he is wrong!

Just after Part P came into force, I followed an electrician's van home from work. It had been extensively signwritten with a statement that "The new Building Regulations Part P specifies that all electrical work must be undertaken by an NICEIC-registered electrician"!
I phoned NICEIC, who couldn't see that there was a problem. I then phoned Trading Standards, who did see the problem - I saw the van a few days later, with that statement removed.

NIC bloke once tried to tell me a fuseway supplying a radial circuit could only contain one conductor.

Sponsored Links
I've worked for NICEIC registered firms and have never been asked to work to anything other than BS7671. Don't know if some of the rumours come from contractors who think they are complying with BS7671 and come out with statement like "the NICEIC make up their own regs" when their non-compliances are pionted out to them.

They may have their own point of view on things but don't we all? The NICEIC will probably allow us to use a ring final circuits CPC connected as per their guide as a high integrity earthing system but other may disagree and argue it doesn't meet the requirements of BS7671. The NICEIC took a lot of flack when self certification of Part P came in as they put their business head on and took on a lot of people who would not meet the requirements for other schemes which from a tradesman's point of view lowered their opinions of them.

The NICEIC took a lot of flack when self certification of Part P came in as they put their business head on and took on a lot of people who would not meet the requirements for other schemes which from a tradesman's point of view lowered their opinions of them.
I suppose in fairness at least they made it clear that they are not part of the Approved Contractor Scheme and shouldn't advertise themselves as such.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back