No earth?

Sponsored Links
Looks like a TT installation to me.

This is where the supplier does not provide an earth, and instead you with have an earth electrode providing the earth to your property.

It looks like it could be a TT system where you have an earth electrode installed to provide your earth.

bah!!

Sponsored Links
Have a look around the outside of the building for an earth steak labelled "Do Not Remove".

Anyone know what the chances are of that being a fused neutral in the service head? I would guess it's been replaced with a bar instead?

Also write to your electricity supplier and ask if you can be provided with a Company earth. With luck they will be able to provide you with PME for £50-£100 which will be money well spent. They might even do it free. Mention the old service head, say if it is cast iron and describe any signs of damage, pitch leakage or deterioration as they may wish to replace it with new.

You will have to provide in advance a 16mm G&Y earth wire long enough to reach the service head, I would suggest you get an 8-way earth block as well, then you can connect your main bonds (gas, water, oil services) as well as your CU.

Although it is possible to work out who owns the distribution network in your area, you don't have to. just write to the address on your electricity bill, and that company has the responsibility to know who will actually do the work.

In my experience letters are much less likely to be be fobbed off or forgotten than phone calls. Make the letter short but give the ref no's off your bill (show the Meterpoint if you can see it as well as your customer/account no.)

You will probably find that any existing earthing and bonding cables are undersized or missing, but it is fairly easy to replace then yourself and you are not obliged to engage an electrician to do it. Come back if you need to know how.

Have a look around the outside of the building for an earth steak labelled "Do Not Remove".
I have looked but i feel due to the last owners lack of diy sense (or skill) they may have covered it or worse.

JohnD: Is making the required change in the CU notifiable under part p?

If you are going to stay on TT you need a suitable CU with a 100ma time delay incomer covering everything and you need to find the earth rod and ensure it is connected up properly or add a new one. Replacing a CU is definitely notifiable work as afaict is installing a new earth rod.

If you get PME then connecting this up is afaict also notifiable. Make sure your main bonding is up to spec first (main bonding is not notifiable).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back