No room thermostat, can I add one?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, been doing a bit of plumbing today and there is two things left that annoys me and wonder if I can do anything about it.

1. I don't have a room theromostat.

2. This means if I don't have the boiler turned up too high (as otherwise the house will be too warm on days like today) then the hot water isn't warm enough.

Is there anything I can do?

The boiler is an Ideal Mexico.

Thanks

unkle

Sponsored Links
fit a room stat, a wireless one would be easiest

Would I need to install a cylinder thermostat as well?

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks, i'll look into.

Have managed to find the boiler manual (from 1983!) and it shows three different wiring diagrams depending if both CH & HW pumped or only CH. How would I establish if both pumped? (i had assumed they were until I read the manual.

If both pumped diagram shows a Honeywell V4037a 3 port valve as well as cylinder & rom thermostat so suspect I woul dneed cylinder thermostat.

check pipes going to boiler, if you have 4 pipes then it will be gravity hw/pumped heating and if 2 then fully pumped

Have a look at Honeywell Sundial Systems.
If you have the gravity HW/pumped CH, then you can easily convert it to a C-Plan. It's not the most efficient as it still relies on gravity for HW circulation, but its easier to convert to a C-plan than to a Y- or S-plan.

If you want proper control over CH and HW temperatures, you need to convert to one of these plans. This requires a room thermostat and a cylinder stat. It's all in the link.

Thanks for that,

I've found some more paperwork on the boiler and on one of the diagrams (Gravity HW and pumped CH) there's a few lines drawn on bypassing the room thermostat (but no mention of a cylinder thermostat). This is for the programmer installation.

Looking at the wiring diagram for Gravity HW and Pumped CH it doesn't seem too tricky, other than becuase it's an old system you can't have CH without HW on.

Looking at the wiring diagram for Gravity HW and Pumped CH it doesn't seem too tricky, other than because it's an old system you can't have CH without HW on.
But if you convert it to C plan you then have independent control over the times and temperatures for CH and HW.

At the moment your HW temperature is determined by the boiler thermostat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back