Noisy neighbours

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Moved into our new house in June and the neighbours on both sides were the best you could ask for.

Unfortunately, one side was renting and now that they have left, the new family is a nightmare. Banging doors, running up and down the stairs and loud music until the wee hours.

Is there anything i can put on the walls or build (have already decorated and fitted carpets etc) to minimize the disturbance, or is it just a case of using a 2 x 4 up side his head as a gentle reminder? ;)

Sponsored Links
There are some good sound proofing products around, go for resilient bar system, with accoustic quilt. The down side is the cost. All of the plug sockets against the party wall may have to be rewired, then theres plasterboard, reskimming decorating etc etc. Its almost cheaper to move.

Speak to your local council environmental office. They will advise you to keep a diary of the 'nuisance' for about 3 months. They may also give you some monitoring kit for a week, only then can you realistically take legal action.

You have my sympathy, having been in the same situation, we moved in the end. Good Luck.

thanks. don't really want to re plaster etc again. will have to go through the council and see if they can do something.

you could put speakers from your stereo on your walls, turned to face them. A few bouts of the 1812 overture at midnight should do the trick ;)

Sponsored Links
Thermo said:
A few bouts of the 1812 overture at midnight should do the trick ;)
..................... or Money...Time......From Floyd dark side :evil:

ro63rto said:
Moved into our new house in June and the neighbours on both sides were the best you could ask for.

Unfortunately, one side was renting and now that they have left, the new family is a nightmare. Banging doors, running up and down the stairs and loud music until the wee hours.

Is there anything i can put on the walls or build (have already decorated and fitted carpets etc) to minimize the disturbance, or is it just a case of using a 2 x 4 up side his head as a gentle reminder? ;)

Easy - ASBO the cretins :evil:

Complain to landlord / housing association / council

Failing that 2 15 inch subs up against the wall and a bit of slipknot once an evening between the hours of 10.30 and midnight

I bet if you asked talked to them about the noise they wouldn't consider themselves to be causing a problem. Most noisy neighbours don't, strange eh? :confused:

Get a guitar, and a 120W amp. Turn everything up to '11'. Play Metallica for 10 minutes.

you have my deepest sympathies.. we went tho all this, noise book and monitoring equipment and as uusal the council proved about as much use as a chocolate teapot. Achived nothing and i got the destinct impression that most of the activity was to keep US quiet and not the noisy buggers... they left eventuly but we started to look for another home as i couldnt live wondering who woudl move in next.... if you google Noise insulation the net throws up some interesting tho mostly expensive solutions.

i remember its the landlords duty to control thier tenants, would be worth complaining to them....

if its one of the newer "cardboard" houses it may be easier to "decouple" the walls, Line with mass loaded vynal etc. We went for a house tho atatched to others both sides built with its own mass, masses of granite!

Cant believe all the previous posters missed out Led Zep, Motorhead and Des O'Connor..... Dont forget to max out on the bass as the lower frequencies travel better through structures.
Looking at the other side of the coin for a moment... Are you sure you are not a moaning old bastard that needs a new set of earplugs and forgot that you were young once? Kids only know one way to shut a door, get up and down stairs and play music {Slam , run and loud respectively) They dont learn any other way till the age of about 30
Noise through walls is best reduced through using layers of different density materials sealed at the edges. Time to start collecting those egg trays!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back