Not even a Sorry.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yesterday I did my first little job since November.

The only other money I've earned is farming a bit of work out.

I've had to dip into savings I put aside for my pension.

Now I'm doing a bit of work it's apparent I'm still a long way off getting back to full time work. I have little energy.

All this because my local hospital who was treating me for Pneumonia gave me a drug that reacted with me and gave me Jaundice and Liver failure.

No one has been in touch and apologised not one letter phone call or email to say SORRY Bod.

This has really screwed me should I at least expect an apology?

Sponsored Links
In law, an apology could be taken as an admission of guilt.

Good luck with gathering the evidence needed if malpractice, or just sheer incompetance happened.

Look on the positive side, at least you not deaded, which would be the likely outcome from the 'other' of my nearest 2 hospitals.

If £money is tight . . . . Only pay who you absolutely have to to keep warm & fed, tell the rest you'll pay 'em on a sliding scale of "GFY" to "I like doing business with you, can you accept that I've been ill & are you prepared to wait till I get back on me feet?".

Stretch the £money as much as you can.

You WILL get better, it's just a matter of time. All you lose is time, you don't lose £money. Just stretch it out as long as you can 'till you earning again.

Should they apologise for something they didnt know would happen or did they know from previous experience .
If not . Better if they explained why it happened

Sponsored Links
In law, an apology could be taken as an admission of guilt.

Good luck with gathering the evidence needed if malpractice, or just sheer incompetance happened.

Should they apologise for something they didnt know would happen or did they know from previous experience .
If not . Better if they explained why it happened

1 in 10000 apparently this happens too I can't see how they can protect against it. I was just unlucky.

Yes if they took the time to see me and explain why and how would have been nice.

If something happened out of the ordinary on a job I did I would explain why and how its just one of those things.

WTF was the drug?
A known side-effect possibility?
Was it explained?

Livers are quite good at mending themselves, but if not quite mended, tiredness etc persist. My family has exp of that.
You're a plumber, right? So can you adopt a lad to do the grunt for a while, & stick to boilers or whatever pays you best?

WTF was the drug?
A known side-effect possibility?
Was it explained?

Livers are quite good at mending themselves, but if not quite mended, tiredness etc persist. My family has exp of that.
You're a plumber, right? So can you adopt a lad to do the grunt for a while, & stick to boilers .

Co - amoxiclav
Augmenting

I dont recall any warning

Thats a pretty standard antibiotic prescribed for quite a number of things. I think it falls under the 'broad spectrum' range of antibiotics, so no special verbal warning is usually needed. It's expected that the patient will read the leaflet that comes with them.

Did they give you this as tablets or intravenous when you were in hospital?

Some of the questions, (and certainly not a complete list of them. The list will not be exhaustive because medical experts/solicitors will always think of others to ask), may cover things like;

When did you realise something was wrong?
What did they attempt to do when it was discovered you had a reaction to this drug?
Were you given other drugs to help/counteract the reactions you were feeling?
What were these drugs?
What dosage were they?
How many doses?
How often?
Did they have any effect on your symptoms?
If so, how soon/long after administration, did they start to have an effect?
If they had no effect, were other drugs tried instead?
Did these have any effect?

And these questions will go on and on, and possibly asked again further down but in a different format to see if your answer remains the same. One slight deviation to what you said the first time, and they will pounce on it to try and discredit you.
You could try speaking with the local PALS in your hospital but, my experience of them is, they will quietly be defending the hospital but trying not to make it obvious.

Apologies can easily be made without admission of guilt. One can be sorry for an outcome etc.

The thing about drugs is they do have adverse reactions. It’s just the way things are, everyone has the chance to react differently etc.

Medical negligence is a level beyond an adverse reaction, it’s where someone who owed a duty of care did or did not do something that resulted in an avoidable harm.

Every day there will be some unlucky bugger who has an adverse reaction to things we take for granted.

Sorry it was your bad luck.

Thats a pretty standard antibiotic prescribed for quite a number of things. I think it falls under the 'broad spectrum' range of antibiotics, so no special verbal warning is usually needed. It's expected that the patient will read the leaflet that comes with them.

Did they give you this as tablets or intravenous when you were in hospital?

Some of the questions, (and certainly not a complete list of them. The list will not be exhaustive because medical experts/solicitors will always think of others to ask), may cover things like;

When did you realise something was wrong?
What did they attempt to do when it was discovered you had a reaction to this drug?
Were you given other drugs to help/counteract the reactions you were feeling?
What were these drugs?
What dosage were they?
How many doses?
How often?
Did they have any effect on your symptoms?
If so, how soon/long after administration, did they start to have an effect?
If they had no effect, were other drugs tried instead?
Did these have any effect?

And these questions will go on and on, and possibly asked again further down but in a different format to see if your answer remains the same. One slight deviation to what you said the first time, and they will pounce on it to try and discredit you.
You could try speaking with the local PALS in your hospital but, my experience of them is, they will quietly be defending the hospital but trying not to make it obvious.

Conny I know nothing

I was in such a bad way when in Hospital I could just about wipe my bum.

Evidence of Jaundice showed its head about 2 weeks after being discharge.

Apologies can easily be made without admission of guilt. One can be sorry for an outcome etc.

The thing about drugs is they do have adverse reactions. It’s just the way things are, everyone has the chance to react differently etc.

Medical negligence is a level beyond an adverse reaction, it’s where someone who owed a duty of care did or did not do something that resulted in an avoidable harm.

Every day there will be some unlucky bugger who has an adverse reaction to things we take for granted.

Sorry it was your bad luck.
An apology is an admission of guilt.

Don't confuse empathy with an apology.

Think you'll find it's AUGMENTIN not Augmenting
What they call a Beta-lactam with increased activity. Also has amoxyclav in its description
For anaerobic bacteria similar to "penicillin" type but altered to try to avoid - forgot the word - getting used to it.
So you had a strong mix. I guess you must have needed it.
There are loads of quite strong reactions to anti-b's.

My mother's sensitive to them - they just treat the side effect and try a different one. Trial and error.
Are they doing repeated blood tests? The" U's and E's and LFT's" they always call for on Casualty - Urea and electrolytes + Liver Function Tests, on that prog often followed by "atropine and adrenaline and 2 units O neg"! You don't need the latter...., yet!

Monitor your bilirubin and albumin and iirc 4 others with 3 letter acronyms. I'd be taking snaps of the test results and looking them up.

If you're podgy you're likely to have a fatty liver (alcoholic or non alcoholic) - it changes morphology quite dramatically, but still works. Find out, and if so ask about having an ultrasound test done for liver fibrosis. Neither is too dramatic as long as you know/catch it early.
If by any chance you get blotchy red patches on your skin, holler quickly. It's called cryoglobulinaemia. The reason I can spell it is that it's consequences of having had that which stop me walking any distance.

An apology is an admission of guilt.

Don't confuse empathy with an apology.
I'm sorry, but you are quite wrong. See Sec 2 of the Compensation Act 2006

And here is the NHS leaflet advising staff

Think you'll find it's AUGMENTIN not Augmenting
What they call a Beta-lactam with increased activity. Also has amoxyclav in its description
For anaerobic bacteria similar to "penicillin" type but altered to try to avoid - forgot the word - getting used to it.
So you had a strong mix. I guess you must have needed it.
There are loads of quite strong reactions to anti-b's.

My mother's sensitive to them - they just treat the side effect and try a different one. Trial and error.
Are they doing repeated blood tests? The" U's and E's and LFT's" they always call for on Casualty - Urea and electrolytes + Liver Function Tests, on that prog often followed by "atropine and adrenaline and 2 units O neg"! You don't need the latter...., yet!

Monitor your bilirubin and albumin and iirc 4 others with 3 letter acronyms. I'd be taking snaps of the test results and looking them up.

If you're podgy you're likely to have a fatty liver (alcoholic or non alcoholic) - it changes morphology quite dramatically, but still works. Find out, and if so ask about having an ultrasound test done for liver fibrosis. Neither is too dramatic as long as you know/catch it early.
If by any chance you get blotchy red patches on your skin, holler quickly. It's called cryoglobulinaemia. The reason I can spell it is that it's consequences of having had that which stop me walking any distance.
I've been handed over to the Royal Free as my local were flapping.

My Billrubin is now I think 37 from the high 300s. I still lack energy and my wee is still dark Orange.

Royal Free are good and will doo all the tests in just over a month.

My local Hospital are notorious for fúçkíńĝ up. I would like them just to explain ans show a little remorse.

Sponsored Links
Back