Okay to install power socket near fuse box, gas & electric meter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to install a 2 gang socket under the stairs for my PC. The gas & electric meter and fuse box are also there.

Is there a regulation or safety issue preventing me from installing it? The socket would be about 1 feet away from any of them.

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
How far is the cable going to be from the gas gubbins?

I want to install a 2 gang socket under the stairs for my PC. The gas & electric meter and fuse box are also there. Is there a regulation or safety issue preventing me from installing it? The socket would be about 1 feet away from any of them.
In terms of proximity to those other things, the socket position is fine. The cable should be at least 25mm from gas pipes and gas meter, but that's all you need to be concerned about.

Where is this new socket going to be fed from?

Kind Regards, John

....Where is this new socket going to be fed from?

Kind Regards, John
Haven't looked into that yet exactly, need to look under the boards and read about the rules (spur, ring, radial etc.) again. There is a socket in the living room exactly opposite (on the other side of the partition wall of course) of under the stairs that runs up (concrete on ground floor) into the joists so that should be an option I assume. If so I would hope to add to the ring(?) and run the cable down under the actual stairs onto the exterior wall where the socket will go, also has the electric meter on that wall.

Actually, here you go with a photo....

2016-02-18-19-42-24-jpg.93804

Thanks.

Attachments

• 2016-02-18 19.42.24.jpg
    2016-02-18 19.42.24.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 5,213
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
As you have the consumer unit sitting right there under the stairs, the easiest option would be to connect directly into it with your new cable rather than going through walls etc. to pick up a feed from elsewhere.

As you have the consumer unit sitting right there under the stairs, the easiest option would be to connect directly into it with your new cable rather than going through walls etc. to pick up a feed from elsewhere.
Indeed, and if he connected it to the MCB serving a ring circuit, that would remove any fuss (and maybe a few pages of discussion!) about possibly 'taking spurs from spurs' etc.. However, that approach would rely on him being comfortable working within a CU, which he might not be.

Kind Regards, John

However, that approach would rely on him being comfortable working within a CU, which he might not be.
True, although if the concern were about working in it because of something still being live even with the main CU switch off, I do spy a separate main RCD on the supply.

Ah okay, that would make it a lot easier. Wasn't sure that was possible but now that I know I shall 'Google' it and see if it's straight forward - for me!

Thanks again guys, really appreciate it.

....I do spy a separate main RCD on the supply.

Are you talking about the grey cable running from the CU into the wall in between earth block and the blue & brown cables? If so that's the feed running outside to the garage (into another CU) - would I be able to feed off that?

...I was referring to the RCD which is in that plastic enclosure immediately to the right of the meter.

Oh God, of course...I'm getting my abbreviations mixed up....must be past my bedtime!

Mind you, still regarding that cable running into the wall to a CU in the garage, could I feed of that?

Thanks.

Mind you, still regarding that cable running into the wall to a CU in the garage, could I feed of that?
Possibly, but it would depend upon the cable size and protective device in the CU which is feeding to the garage. And, if that were all suitable, whether you would actually want the socket on the same circuit or not. Any chance of a picture of the CU showing what MCB's you currently have, their ratings, and what they feed?

That henley block seems a waste of space, why can't the meter tails be fed straight off the RCD directly, saving clutter?

I think I see a Mix and Match breaker on the end position of the consumer board - it looks a bit odd up against the others...

That henley block seems a waste of space, why can't the meter tails be fed straight off the RCD directly, saving clutter?
And shortening the tails considerably given how much there appears to be in the loop. Maybe at the time that RCD was installed there was some other panel being fed from the Henley blocks as well which was then just removed later? Obviously there's evidence of plenty of changes there,

I'd be more concerned with the extra long unsupported tails being disturbed and ending up with loose connections in that block, or falling out altogether!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back