Okay to install power socket near fuse box, gas & electric meter?

Sponsored Links
The cable should be at least 25mm from gas pipes and gas meter
Thought it was 150mm?
Why has it taken you 6 weeks to think of that question? :)

Given that I don't have a copy of BS6891, I was quoting the OSG, as I understand what it says. It indicates that (per BS6891) gas pipes should be at least 25mm from electrical cables (but 150mm away from electrical meters, CUs etc.) and that gas meters should be at least 150mm from "electrical equipment", the OSG diagram showing a CU as an example of such equipment; it does not specifically mention any minimum distance between a gas meter and electrical cables, so I have taken that to imply that the 25mm figure (for distance from gas pipes to electrical cables) also applies to the distance between gas meters and electrical cables.

Do you disagree with that interpretation and/or do you have a copy of BS6891?

You may also be interested to know that the OSG indicates that the 150mm minimum between gas meters and "electrical equipment" does not apply if there is a "non-combustible" partition between them :)

Kind Regards, John

Why has it taken you 6 weeks to think of that question?
screenshot_884.jpg

I have taken that to imply that the 25mm figure (for distance from gas pipes to electrical cables) also applies to the distance between gas meters and electrical cables.

Do you disagree with that interpretation and/or do you have a copy of BS6891?

BS 6891:2005 Installation of low pressure gas pipework in domestic premises, clause 8.16.2 states that gas installation pipes must be spaced at least 150mm away from electricity meters, controls, electrical switches or sockets, distribution boards or consumer units. There should also be a separation between a supply or distribution cable of at least 25mm for domestic pipework up to 35mm or 50mm for piepwork over 35mm.

Sorry - I only remembered the 150mm figures and situations.

You may also be interested to know that the OSG indicates that the 150mm minimum between gas meters and "electrical equipment" does not apply if there is a "non-combustible" partition between them
Actually, I wouldn't. :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
The earth terminals will be connected so it doesn't matter whether you use one or both.

Obviously this should be the case, but it is worth noting that some cheap sockets that are finding their way to the UK unbelievably don't have a connection between the two earth terminals! For example this one, you can skip to about 7.50 as the video is quite long!

I'm rather lost! The question you asked related to something I wrote on 18th February (and which you quoted). What does Sproggins' post yesterday (and/or EFLI's to which it was a response) have to do with it?
I didn't see the thread back in February - it was because there were new posts that I finally did.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back