Okay to install power socket near fuse box & electric meter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am wondering if you guys could advise on whether I can install a 2 gang socket in the cabinet where my fuseboars and meter are located. I have attach a picture of the cabinet with all the components currently installed. I aim to install a switch for my local networks, so all data cables would end up in there too.

If I could install the power socket, what would be the best way to do it? Thank you

Attachments

• 20220916_163725.jpg
    20220916_163725.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 173
  • 20220914_145107.jpg
    20220914_145107.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 164
  • 20220914_145116.jpg
    20220914_145116.jpg
    302.6 KB · Views: 175
  • 20220914_145119.jpg
    20220914_145119.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 167
Sponsored Links
A socket could be installed there.

It won't be straightforward or particularly easy, as that consumer unit and the rest is a pile of problems.

A socket could be installed there.

It won't be straightforward or particularly easy, as that consumer unit and the rest is a pile of problems.
Why do you say the consumer unit and rest is a pile of problems? Anything I should be worried of? :)

Any idea on how I could put the socket there? I have access to the void of the house and all the rings and cables are exposed. Is there any other way to do it from the CU itself?

Thanks for suggestings

Last edited:
Why do you say the consumer unit and rest is a pile of problems? :)

Any idea on how I could put the socket there? I have access to the void of the house and all the rings and cables are exposed. Is there any other way to do it from the CU itself?

Thanks for suggestings
You can connect the socket on a spur at the origin of a ring in the CU.

Sponsored Links
Why is the earth cable to the right not connected to the others? Do you know where the other end goes to/ is connected to

Why is the earth cable to the right not connected to the others? Do you know where the other end goes to/ is connected to
Good shot that's was going to be my next question. one of the Earth ends is connected to the gas pipe, other to the water supply stopcock.
Where should it be connected this cable?

the loose earth can be connected to the block that the other three are connected to, it looks like there is space for one or two more

a pile of problems?
Earth wire not connected to anything at the right side of the photo
Supply tails to the consumer unit are not fixed to anything
Supply tails enter through a hole which is far too large
Main earth enters via a different hole to the supply
RCD in the consumer unit is a type which isn't suitable for socket outlets
There are no spare ways suitable for adding an RCBO for a new socket outlet
General lack of labelling as to what most of the circuits are for.

Has the 18th Ed. outlawed older RCDs?

Has the 18th Ed. changed the rules around Eddy Currents? AFAIR, you only needed to put the live conductors through the same hole.

We don't even know if the earth is connected to anything.

EDIT: Apologies to Sure, who beat me to it!

Has the 18th Ed. outlawed older RCDs?
According to https://www.lewden.com/media/docs/87176-lewden-amd2-guide.PDF amendment 2 to the 18th edition has added.

Types of RCD
RCD type AC shall only be used to serve fi xed equipment, where it is known
that the load current contains no DC components.
NOTE: Examples of fi xed equipment with a load current containing no
DC components can include but not be limited to electric heating
appliances, and/or simple fi lament lighting neither containing electronic
components.

Which essentially means if you want to fully conform to the latest edition of BS7671 you can't use type AC RCDs.

However BS7671 also says

The Regulations apply to the design, erection and verification of electrical installations, also additions and alterations to existing installations. Existing installations that have been installed in accordance with earlier editions of the Regulations may not comply with this edition in every respect. This does not necessarily mean that they are unsafe for continued use or require upgrading.

So it seems to be left open to judgement as to what exactly is and isn't permissable when working on an existing installation. A pessimistic interpretation might be that since the socket is new it should comply with latest regs and thus should be protected by a type A RCD. Peronally I think that is unreasonably pessimistic but others may have their own opinions.

It's also worth noting that the government has not seen fit to update approved document P in nearly a decade. It still says "Electrical installations should be designed and installed in accordance with BS 7671:2008 incorporating Amendment No 1:2011."

I'm glad I'm not the only pro spark ignorant of that rule.

This still from David Savery's SPD installation video on the SPD thread: Maybe you should tell him he got that wrong, too!

1665218546765.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back