On the subject of "grassing"

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cantaloup63

The thing about "grassing" is that there has to be something to be "grassed". :)

Sponsored Links
I hit the alert button whenever I see abusive posts by the resident troll. He got aggrieved by it, banding the word "grass" around without understanding a fundamental feature of the situation. Curiously, the majority of the reported posts have been removed which suggests that the mods agreed that the posts were contrary to the rules.

It's bad enough that he does it on the GD section, but it seems somewhat more inappropriate when he trolls the main boards and hectors "genuine" DIYers who are asking for legitimate information. :confused:

Sponsored Links
PS - If at all possible it would be nice if this thread could remain in place until the deviant poster in question has a chance to read it :) , but after which it may be removed at leisure as the powers that be deem fit ;)

You never know, he might actually get to learn something for once in his puerile little existence :idea:

The trouble is cantaloup....... There are certain words thrown about this forum all to easily. IMO

Words like troll and bigot for example.

I shake my head in disbelief sometimes, but that's life I suppose.

I still refuse to complain about anyone though. :D

Admin should be able to look at the posters ip address and find out who it is.

Unless they are resetting their Internet connection every time they post...which is just sad.

Personally I can't see the point of repeatedly reporting posts .... I think it just makes the situation worse.
If I read something I don't like I comment if I think its appropriate and I am interested in the subject, or I just ignore it.
There will always be banter and disagreement ....otherwise it wouldn't be a discussion.

Admin should be able to look at the posters ip address and find out who it is.

Unless they are resetting their Internet connection every time they post...which is just sad.
Admin can quite easily disable an account, which requires a new email address to be set up to re-register. This process can be repeated indefinitely if needs be until something changes one way or the other.

Most people on here know my past and previous noms-des-plumes , including admin (since I emailed him -although he has yet to reply :confused: ). I like to think that I've learnt my lesson and that I've paid my penance. If this is wrong then fair enough, my account will be disabled and I'll go back to other forums that are in use (until the next time ;) )

I find it sad the main culprit here uses the "alert" button incessantly and others get to a "Set count point" and are suspended.
Its about time this auto counter was turned off either for good or for the ones with sticky fingers.

There are enough Mods on here to cope with this. Also it seems the Mods have limited powers. Perhaps if they had more leeway with the PHP admin sections there would be more consistant moderation.

I find it sad the main culprit here uses the "alert" button incessantly and others get to a "Set count point" and are suspended..
I have no qualms about alerting the mods about a poster who provides perpetual abusive or unhelpful comments, or those which are designed to hijack threads etc. It is my hope and intention that the person concerned does reach the "set point" limit - it would be entirely his own fault for providing a sufficient number of posts that need removing.

One could easily ignore it, but why should I have to?

For me it's either have rules that are followed and stick by them (sure we should all be allowed to blow of steam and offer opinions that might bend the rules a little and get away with a slapped arse)

or alternatively
have no rules and lets get on with the stalking and slagging matches for those that choose to do that sort of thing!

Personally I can't see the point of repeatedly reporting posts .... I think it just makes the situation worse..
Why is having pointless and abusive posts removed making things worse? It allow sensible banter and debate about the subject matter to continue without having to even skim read worthless comments to realise that it was well worth ignoring.

For me it's either have rules that are followed and stick by them (sure we should all be allowed to blow of steam and offer opinions that might bend the rules a little and get away with a slapped a**e)
I agree, and non of us on here are angels, pure as the driven snow. It's the incessant and deliberate drivel, abuse and time-wasting from one poster in particular that should be eradicated.

It's taken time, but MM has grown on me and what he says isn't always as crazy as some make out. Sure, he has the occasional "unfortunate" tone and throwaway insult in his posts, but this is just his style. At least he tries to say/communicate something, even though one might disagree with him completely. So, he ain't the one I'm talking about ;)

Why is having pointless and abusive posts removed making things worse? It allow sensible banter and debate about the subject matter to continue without having to even skim read worthless comments to realise that it was well worth ignoring.
I think the abuse should be sub-sectioned and placed a sin bin, so we all know who the picks are!
I often get involved in threads only to find parts have been deleted because of the so called abusers, this sometimes also involves the removal of no abusive post with valid comments, it's time for admin to get a grip and banish these troll like creatures for good.
There are certain members on here that only input is revilement, vituperation, scurrility or just total sad and lonely nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back