outdoor bulkhead lights

even if fixing them to the fence of my rented accomodation? i have no intention of making these lights a permant fixing, they are temporary lights that are used in the long winter dark nights and will be removed once the longer daylight sets in.

as they are on a plug they are temporary, i could bring the bulkheads into the house when i wake up at 9am the next morning, if they were a permant fixing i would have an electrican install them for me?

Sponsored Links
even if fixing them to the fence of my rented accomodation? i have no intention of making these lights a permant fixing, they are temporary lights that are used in the long winter dark nights and will be removed once the longer daylight sets in.
Fixed is fixed, and hs absolutely nothing to do with permanent or not.

as they are on a plug they are temporary, i could bring the bulkheads into the house when i wake up at 9am the next morning, if they were a permant fixing i would have an electrican install them for me?
Being on a plug does not make them temporary, and even if it did there is no distinction in the law between temporary and permanent, only between fixed (which includes designed to be fixed) and not fixed.

Why ask here if you have absolutely no intention of doing anything anybody tells you, you useless, time wasting **** ******** ******?

Sponsored Links
There isn't one.

There is one which says you can't have that without applying for Building Regulations approval first - would you like to see that?

i would also hazard a guess that there are at least 1 million pirs in use? how many of them have approval? less then 1%

i would also say the same about the bulkheads

all i asked is would it be safe to have 6 60w lights on a plug thats all.

6 bulkheads at 60w each is no different from using a extension lead and a lawn mower, is no different from using a electrical hook up when camping and no different from using a outdoor electrical grill to cook on when listning to elvis on the stereo also pluged into a extension lead.

It is very different. What you propse is fixed wiring. Your examples above are all predicated on being short-term temporary supplies using extension leads.
The wiring and building regulations relate to the safe provision of wiring. These include the safety of the sockets that would provide a supply to temporary supplies outside.

if it's a temporary lash up you're after, I've already told you that pre-wired festoon lighting is an option..

then there's the pre-wired garden light kits that just plug together.. these don't require building approval..

would it be safe to wire in series a total of 6 of these 60w lamps, bring the cable into the house and simply fit a plug and plug it into the mains?

If you do it properly and the bulk head lights are designed for outdoor use then it might be safe.

You need to wire them in parallel, not series unless you can find 40 volt lamps. Six lamps in series on 230 volt mains would get 1/6 of the voltage so only get 1/36 (one thirty sixth ) of the power so would be very dim.

If you are fixing them to a wall then there is a requirement to consider the Building Regulations.

If you are fixing them to a fence at a height where they can be easily touched by someone on foot on the ground or where they could be damaged by impact ( with a wheelie bin for example ) then there are serious safety concerns to be considered.

The people on the other side of the fence would need to be aware, especially it is their fence.

Even a burglar who gets injured by defective external lighting while breaking into your property could make a claim for damages against you.

If incorrectly installed external electrics causes a fatal electrocution the police could being manslaughter charges. You might be insured against this. But if you have ignored building regulations then the insurance might use that as a reason to not pay out on the claim.

You say the property is rented, you need to get the landlord's permission as what you are doing could affect insurance policies he may have on the property.

still comes under notifiable under Part P of the building regs though...

Our firm is consdering putting some bulkheads on an outside wall to light up a dark area at the side of the building.
Would this still apply to them?

Are they going to be attached to a dwelling, or on a building that receives its electricity from a source located within or shared with a dwelling; or in a garden or in or on land associated with a building where the electricity is from a source located within or shared with a dwelling?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back