outdoor bulkhead lights

:eek: :confused:
Oh how I hate gobble -de -gook! :LOL:

They had a spark in last Thursday and he proposes running a cable from a spare B6mcb through the wall to the outside where he will fit a weatherproof outdoor single gang switch, he will then bring the cable back into the factory, run it up the internal wall to a 20A junction box screwed to a stone ledge. Then from the JB he runs two cables to two seperate lights mounted on the outside wall of the factory. This means he will have to drill access holes through the wall to the light fittings, (one to the left and one to the right), approximately 28' apart.

This is what I have read in his method statement. I'm just curious as to if this is notifiable under part P.

For my own curiosity thats all, if he is then I assume he will know this and notify as required. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
This is what I have read in his method statement. I'm just curious as to if this is notifiable under part P.
Part P applies to any work whatsoever on fixed electrical cables or fixed electrical equipment located on the consumer’s side of the electricity supply meter which operate at low or extra-low voltage and are—
(a) in or attached to a dwelling;
(b) in the common parts of a building serving one or more dwellings, but excluding power supplies to lifts;
(c) in a building that receives its electricity from a source located within or shared with a dwelling; or
(d) in a garden or in or on land associated with a building where the electricity is from a source located within or shared with a dwelling.

So if you can't tell us if the work is in or attached to a dwelling etc then we can't tell you if it's notifiable....

They will be attached to the outer wall of the building, the supply will come from within the building, and they will not cross any boundary lines to adjacent properties.
The building is not shared with anyone else and has no common areas.

Does this help?

Actually BAS, just re-read your reply slowly and digested what you are saying.

It is notifiable.

Cheers mate.

Conny,
I thought you worked fixing motors.
The building you work in is unlikely to be a "Dwelling" I would have thought.
Unless theres a flat above or similar.

Sponsored Links
Not wishing to hijack this thread, but if you already have external light fittings, and replace them with new fittings in exactly the same location for aesthetic reasons, is that notifiable then?

And they wonder why the public struggle, did you link to the correct docuemnt because i cant even find the section you are talking about!

Right, page 38, which says no, not required to notify. And thats still the case in a special location?

And they wonder why the public struggle, did you link to the correct docuemnt because i cant even find the section you are talking about!
I don't think that clicking Edit -> Find, or hitting CTRL-F, or clicking the Find icon, and then starting to look for Schedule 2B should be a struggle.

If it is then I submit that you've probably got more pressing day to day problems than being able to track down the Building Regs, because so much in life these days is based on the expectation of basic computer literacy....

BAS, i actually had no idea you could do that in an online PDF, well the Ctrl F, i cant do the edit find because i use google chrome and its not an option.

Whilst your information is helpful, if you could deliver it without the sneering condescension it would make more people listen. Given the choice between an intimate knowledge of internet search protocols and good interpersonal skills, i know which has benefited my career more. Take care.

BAS, i actually had no idea you could do that in an online PDF, well the Ctrl F, i cant do the edit find because i use google chrome and its not an option.
Well I had no idea that you didn't know what the highlighted button is for:

chromepdf.jpg

nor that you wouldn't think to try Ctrl-F, which if it doesn't work with every application works with so many that it's a pretty good bet.

Whilst your information is helpful, if you could deliver it without the sneering condescension it would make more people listen.
It wasn't sneering condescension - it was a genuine observation that in this day and age that degree of "computer illiteracy" has got to be a real problem.

I'm sure that if every time I posted a link to the document I included the instructions "Click the search button or hit Ctrl-F and then type 'Schedule 2B' in the find window" I'd get far more people complaining that I was being condescending.

BAS - you have seriously gone to the effort of opening the page in Chrome, doing a screen grab, importing that image into Paint where you have added a red circle around the find function so you could then paste that image into a reply where you state you were not being rude?

'you've probably got more pressing day to day problems than being able to track down the Building Regs' If that is not being rude then i hate to think what you consider being rude is.

I really hope your online persona is not a true refelction of your personality, because if it is you have more pressing day to day problems than the majority of forum users.

Conny,
I thought you worked fixing motors.
The building you work in is unlikely to be a "Dwelling" I would have thought.
Unless there's a flat above or similar.

So it's not a domestic, so Part P doesn't apply, so that end the debate and hopefully the iffy banter.

BAS you need to accept that sometimes you do write in a hand that shouts out as being rude, agitated, patronising, aloof (etc..).
As an obviously intelligent person, that attitude does you a disservice.

BAS - you have seriously gone to the effort of opening the page in Chrome, doing a screen grab, importing that image into Paint where you have added a red circle around the find function so you could then paste that image into a reply where you state you were not being rude?
I'm not a frequent user of Chrome, nor do I ever open PDF documents in any browser window, so I wanted to check how it does behave in those circumstances.

'you've probably got more pressing day to day problems than being able to track down the Building Regs' If that is not being rude then i hate to think what you consider being rude is.
Well I considered that to be a genuine observation, it certainly wasn't written as an insult.

I really hope your online persona is not a true refelction of your personality, because if it is you have more pressing day to day problems than the majority of forum users.
Maybe it's just that in my day to day life I don't mix with people who look for offence when none is there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back