Part P notification from April 2013

and it could be reasonably expected that compliance with BS7671 would be accepted as demonstrating compliance with "reasonable provision etc." although it may not be the only means?

Sponsored Links
That's the case.

Always has been, although I've known people to get incredibly bent out of shape about that fact, and to go into levels of denial so irrational as to put them in the same category as flat-earthers, or those who believe that the school/college shootings in the USA are actually done by the US Government so that they can justify disarming the populace.

Can I ask, what classes as a new circuit? Would extensive modification of an existing circuit count?

Two key words you've used, 'new' and 'existing'.

Is something new if it already exists?

Sponsored Links
Can I ask, what classes as a new circuit? Would extensive modification of an existing circuit count?

No. A new circuit requires a new protective device. Even if you connect into an existing circuit at the protective device it is still not a new circuit.
Anyone who thinks differently doesn't know what a circuit is.

No. A new circuit requires a new protective device. Even if you connect into an existing circuit at the protective device it is still not a new circuit.
Anyone who thinks differently doesn't know what a circuit is.

So from 6 April a DIY'er could rewire a house (minus a shower) without it being notifiable provided you don't need a new Consumer Unit or need to add an extra MCB?

Wiring into empty MCBs would count as new circuits !

Ask them for prove the MCB were empty before ;)

That's my thinking. What's to stop a DIYer to have the cu installed with a full set of MCBs, wired to terminated short twin and earth of an appropriate csa, then subsequently "modify existing circuits" by adding to the wires using either crimps or appropriate maintainance free jb?

This seems to be, ahem, legit, as long as it doesn't route through special locations?

That's my thinking. What's to stop a DIYer to have the cu installed with a full set of MCBs, wired to terminated short twin and earth of an appropriate csa, then subsequently "modify existing circuits" by adding to the wires using either crimps or appropriate maintainance free jb?

This seems to be, ahem, legit, as long as it doesn't route through special locations?

This is the thing about notification, it hasn't stopped anyone from doing anything in their own homes and so long as it's done safely, why should it? A lot more can go wrong from misuse of a pressure cooker.

So from 6 April a DIY'er could rewire a house (minus a shower) without it being notifiable provided you don't need a new Consumer Unit or need to add an extra MCB?
I think you can include the shower as well !
From http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2012/3119/regulation/6/made :
(a)the installation of a new circuit;
(b)the replacement of a consumer unit; or
(c)any addition or alteration to existing circuits in a special location.

(incidentally, has anyone found an online copy of the revised BR in full, I don't seem to be able to find one).

Replacing the shower with an identical one, or replacing the cable with one of the same type, size, and routing would not IMO) constitute an alteration or addition. The next question that then arises would be whether replacing the shower unit with a different make/model but similar specifications would be classed as an alteration ?

This is why, during a previous thread, we wondered if the legislators actually realised what the definition of a circuit was.

The next question that then arises would be whether replacing the shower unit with a different make/model but similar specifications would be classed as an alteration ?
Replacement is the clue.

There is no mention of the oft-quoted 'like for like' in the regulations.

Incidentally, this is the case at present.

The next question that then arises would be whether replacing the shower unit with a different make/model but similar specifications would be classed as an alteration ?
Replacement is the clue.

There is no mention of the oft-quoted 'like for like' in the regulations.

Incidentally, this is the case at present.

Is there anything to suggest 'like for like' isn't acceptable?

Like for like has been a term used for years. If for maintenance something is replaced, be it a like for a like or an upgrade, is the existance of such an item a new thing in its entirety?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back