Part P Notification

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is usual practice re notification following electrical notifiable works.

Do electricians usually not notify until paid?

Sponsored Links
If the electrician is registered then he can notify the work after completion.
If not registered, it must be notified before the work starts.

I have no idea. If having difficulty getting paid, I suppose it could happen.

If the electrician is registered then he can notify the work after completion.
If not registered, it must be notified before the work starts.

I have no idea. If having difficulty getting paid, I suppose it could happen.
Its a registered electrician. Contractor we are using brought him in. We asked the contractor whether the electrics were notified and he said it would be done 'after we sit down'. We were just wondering if this is normal/legal for them to be using this as non electric related leverage?

Well, it would appear that it is the Contractor who is being somewhat threatening.

He will likely get the certificate from the electrician who will then notify the work to his 'scheme' who will send you the Certificate of Compliance in a week or two as it will be your address on the Electrical certificate.
The contractor may not be right in not giving it to you but some people are like that.

If the worst happens you could get a copy from the electrician.

Sponsored Links
Well, it would appear that it is the Contractor who is being somewhat threatening.

He will likely get the certificate from the electrician who will then notify the work to his 'scheme' who will send you the Certificate of Compliance in a week or two as it will be your address on the Electrical certificate.
The contractor may not be right in not giving it to you but some people are like that.

If the worst happens you could get a copy from the electrician.
Contractor bought in the electrician so electrician will do what he wants. I checked with the scheme the electrician is with and they haven't received notification

Hopefully this wont be any issue, but if he starts demanding unreasonable extras etc. and things go south does he have me?

What can I say?

They should do it properly but if they don't …

The electrician must notify to the scheme within thirty days so if he does't you can report that.

Contractor bought in the electrician so electrician will do what he wants. I checked with the scheme the electrician is with and they haven't received notification. ... Hopefully this wont be any issue, but if he starts demanding unreasonable extras etc. and things go south does he have me?
If things get difficult, the time might come when it would be useful for you remind the electrician (directly, or via the contractor) that, if one takes the law literally, it is the registered electrician (the person who "undertook the work") who would be breaking the law if he undertook notifiable work and did not notify it to his scheme within 30 days ... and, as has been said, once he has notified it to his scheme, they will send you the certificate, and no-one can stop that happening.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for the replies.

Technically he could deny having done the work as his contract would've been with the contractor.

I understand it is illegal for another electrician to certify work they never carried out, is it ok for another electrician to reopen the wiring at 'important' junctions and disconnect/reconnect and notify?

Technically he could deny having done the work as his contract would've been with the contractor.
Hmmmm. Well, if it is apparent that the work has been done, I think it would then be for the contractor to reveal who did it! If you are being billed for the work (by one or the other), they can't really deny that it has been done - by someone!
I understand it is illegal for another electrician to certify work they never carried out, is it ok for another electrician to reopen the wiring at 'important' junctions and disconnect/reconnect and notify?
Strictly speaking, no - but if it does come to that sort of situation, one needs to discuss it with the BCO, who may suggest some solution such as that.

Kind Regards, John

Do you have a signed contract of the work agreed to be undertaken and also stating electrical work will be notified and certificated?
The normal procedure is if the electrician is registered with a scheme provider, they have to notify within 25 days of completion.
This is a legal obligation, has additional work been done outside the scope of the original agreement?

The time limit starts when the work is completed. It is hard to say when that date is a simple screw missing waiting for replacement means not complete so to use time limit first you need something to say it is complete. The scheme members certificate is called a compliance certificated but the LABC version is called a completion certificate so it is really the certificate your missing which is required to show the 30 days has started. So rather pointless having the rule.

Also as you have pointed out his contract is with the builder not you. The installation or minor works certificate has to be issued to the person ordering the work which is the builder.

However the other way to look at it any monies due on completion are clearly not due until the certificate is raised.

In my case I had to go to the LABC and they took over the responsibility for the work. I was lucky the work was for a disablement so no LABC charges. I think they did something about the builder very soon after he stopped trading. It seems not only did he contravene Part P but also some other building regulations.

What really worried us was when the inspector told us in no uncertain terms it is up to the house owner to ensure the regulations are complied with. The builder may do it for the house owner but if it goes wrong then the house owner has to foot the bill then try and claim it back from builder.

The exception is where the trade is controlled by scheme membership so if an electrician says he is a scheme member and is not then he has committed a crime rather then the home owner for not notifying the LABC although the LABC can still make the home owner correct errors.

I has wished I had not said a thing. But I had thought everything had been done correctly until the LABC inspector said other wise. By then it was too late and all I could do was pray he did not require me to expose drains or do some other major work.

All in all I was very lucky, cost an extra £2000 to what expected to convert pantry and outside entry toilet into a wet room but it could have been much worse. Had I realised the problems I think I may have said nothing to LABC and just crossed my fingers. Had my son and I both not been electricians and I had a friend who could do the lintel which was beyond our skill, the cost would have been much higher.

UPDATE:
The electrician has now provided the Domestic Electrical Installation Certificate but I have checked and he hasn't yet notified to his scheme.

I hope the notification is following and all is smooth sailing from here, but just to be ready for anything else; can they contractor/electrician still use the notification part to blackmail me or is this certificate enough to get Part P notification sorted even if the contractor/electrician refuse to do it?

Not really.

If you do not receive the Certificate of Compliance soon then, as you have the EIC, it is the electrician who is in breech of the scheme conditions.

Contact the scheme and complain.
They do not actually see the EIC so, if not notified by the electrician, they will know nothing about it.
It would be a good idea to send a copy with the complaint.

Not really.

If you do not receive the Certificate of Compliance soon then, as you have the EIC, it is the electrician who is in breech of the scheme conditions.

Contact the scheme and complain.
They do not actually see the EIC so, if not notified by the electrician, they will know nothing about it.
It would be a good idea to send a copy with the complaint.

If I need to go through the scheme after 30 days, would they accept any non-safety related defense for the electrician on why he is refusing to notify? e.g what if the contractor still owes him money?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back