Patch Panels.

Wish mine was as tidy as some of those.

This was taken a couple of years ago

It was all ripped out and redone.
Now It's like this again ;)

Another rip out and repatch this weekend.
Overtime here I come! ;)

Sponsored Links
these are not RJ-45 sockets. RJ-45 is something quite different.
I thought the problem was that (visually) they aren't at all quite different - the RJ-45 8P2C looking virtually identical to the 8P8C used on the ends of twisted-pair network cables?

I thought yellow cables were reserved for crossovers?

We use pink cables for crossovers at work :)

For everything else we are now moving to http://www.patchsee.com cables. There is a plastic fibre optic cable running down the patch cable, and a special tool allows you to shine a light from either end which identifies the other end. Then no matter how spaghetti like the patching becomes you can always identify the cables.

Sponsored Links
I thought the problem was that (visually) they aren't at all quite different - the RJ-45 8P2C looking virtually identical to the 8P8C used on the ends of twisted-pair network cables?

They are very similar in appearance, but an RJ-45 jack has a keyway on one side, and uses a corresponding keyed plug. A true RJ-45 plug, therefore, won't actually fit into the unkeyed 8P8C jacks used for computer network connections - Not that you would want it to!

But the point which many people don't seem to understand is that the RJ (Registered Jack) numbers refer not only to the physical type of plug & jack used, but also to the specific wiring configuration. The designation thus refers to the combination of jack type and the way in which that jack is wired. The same 6-position jack, for example, can be RJ-11, RJ-14, or RJ-25, depending upon whether it's wired for one, two, or three telephone lines respectively.

RJ-45 is the designation for a modem connection using an 8-position keyed jack, with one pair used for the line and a second pair used for a programming resistor to set the transmit level of the data equipment. It's pretty much obsolete now, and was never adopted officially in the U.K. anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back