Patch Panels.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings all.

Can someone help me understand how a patch panel works.

This one for example.

p1829141_l.jpg

If you run one cat5 from each port to an outlet. I understand if you plug your internet rj45 into, for example, port 1, then the net will be distributed to outlet 1.

How would you get the net distributed to all outlets for example? Or say a selection of random outlets like 4, 18 and 23?
Are the colour coded blocks of 6 ports linked together? So If you plug the net into 1, 1-6 will receive it? I'm not sure that's right, but I'm confused! :confused:

Please help. :D

Sponsored Links
Patch panels are simply large numbers of RJ45 sockets.

In your example, you'd need a network switch or hub, along with an appropriate router. Typically, you'd plug the LAN port on the router into one of the switch ports, then connect each computer on the LAN to the switch by connecting a short patch cable between the switch and appropriate patch port.

C&GStudent said:
Are the colour coded blocks of 6 ports linked together? So If you plug the net into 1, 1-6 will receive it? I'm not sure that's right, but I'm confused! :confused:

No, they're not. Many panels aren't coloured, and I don't know the reasoning behind the Screwfix colours. I think it's simply to provide an easy way to seperate the ports into blocks.

I'll see if I can find a reasonable photo of one of my installations...

Each network port in a room is wired back to the terminals on the back of one of those sockets in the patch panel (though some have sockets on the back as well, and instead of connecting down, you crimp a plug onto your cable), you then have network kit racked in the same rack and you 'patch' your data ports that are around the building into different sockets on the kit, by using short 'patch cables' between the patch panel and whatever network kit you are using

Normally it'll be something like a hub or a switch (a cleverer hub!), but more elborate systems will have more, serveral switches, phone kit, etc

The coloured bits are just for identification, you can't run ethernet off a bussbar! (though a hub isn't actually massivly far off..., anything that comes in on the receive pair is amplified and sent out on all the other ports transmit pairs - a switch actually leans where different computers and devices are and only transmits stuff on the right ports)

Sponsored Links
This is the best I can find I'm afraid. The patch cables aren't as neat as I'd like :(

rack.jpg

The network switches are at the very bottom of the rack. The patch panels are next up, and the phone system is just above the patch panels.

Blue cables are phone, grey cables are ethernet.

Any port which requires a network connection has a patch cable between it and one of the switches.

JohnD said:
jwilliams said:
The patch cables aren't as neat as I'd like :(

Do a professional job.

Put a door over them.

:p :p

That's half way through the installation of that rack. We'd plugged everything back together to allow some Saturday work to take place - the rack now has a door & sides & everything!

The door's clear though, so I still redid them neatly :)

Thanks everyone.

So a hub or switch would be connected to every port on the panel if all outlets were to be used?

C&GStudent said:
Thanks everyone.

So a hub or switch would be connected to every port on the panel if all outlets were to be used?

Yes.

That's unusual though - most people over-cable to allow for extra capacity or awkward office moves.

C&GStudent said:
Thanks everyone.

Basically, but there might be several ports on the switch, serveral switches, etc.

But suffice to say, if you wanted every port in the building to work, you'd have to patch them into something, and that would normally be a switch (thats the network tech's job though, the sparky might install the ports and run them back to the patch panel, and then network guy installs and configures networking hardware and patches stuff in)

I once found a near-new LAN cabinet (incl sides, glass doors, racks,socket strips) in a skip at work, couldn't think of a use for it so didn't load it into my car.

Everyone I tell says they'd have been glad of it :(

JohnD said:
I once found a near-new LAN cabinet (incl sides, glass doors, racks,socket strips) in a skip at work, couldn't think of a use for it so didn't load it into my car.

I'd have been glad of it :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back