Home Network Patch Panel : How can they be mounted?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking to wire up my house with ethernet and have a 12-port patch panel in the cupboard under the stairs. I understand how the patch panel works but every patch panel that I've seen seems to be designed to fit into a rack of some sort.

This seems a little overkill for a 12-port patch panel - or is it? Can someone perhaps post a picture of a home installation of a patch panel so I can get some ideas of how these things can be mounted? Can you fashion an enclosure of your own and does the patch panel need to be facing forward (i.e. sticking out) or could it perhaps be mounted facing downwards?

I'm just trying to get some ideas for how these things can be installed - I've never seen an installation in the flesh and it's a little difficult to picture what it may end up looking like.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
You can mount it in anything you can buy or make that's the right size.

Facing out is better than down:

a) You can get to the sockets more easily

b) You won't see all the wiring coming in.

Normally in a commercial setting one would have a rack with one or more patch panels for the sockets in the building, one or more network switches and in a modern install that uses the same wiring for phone and network likely more patch panels connected to the phone exchange. As you say though this is probablly overkill for a home.

Do you plan to use this wiring purely for ethernet? if so then personally I wouldn't both with a patch panel at all, i'd just mount the network gear on either a wall or shelf and take the cables into it directly. IMO patch panels are only really worth it if you plan to use the wiring in more complex ways.

You can get little 8-9u wall cabinets upwards of £50.

If you do have the space, I recommend using them. You can house the odd little widget in there too - nas, modem etc. Reduces dust in patch holes, provides a fireproof(ish) container for the electrics, rodent-proof (ish) to prevent nibbling, etc.

If not, or no space, then sure - mount it as you like on anything 19% apart. Woodscrews and washers are fine. If you end up mounting face-up, do use tape to blank off unused holes as it can lead to bad connections with dust when you do need them, or plug them with uncrimped rj45 plugs.

Sponsored Links
Do you plan to use this wiring purely for ethernet? if so then personally I wouldn't both with a patch panel at all, i'd just mount the network gear on either a wall or shelf and take the cables into it directly. IMO patch panels are only really worth it if you plan to use the wiring in more complex ways.

Probably just for ethernet. Can you recommend a 12-port gigabit switch?

I kept it simple by screwing a patchboard to a panel in a utility room cupboard. The panel is hinged at the bottom.

It's a little unusual to see a 12-port 19" patch panel - are you sure it isn't a smaller format? For example, there are a lot of 12 port versions available which are designer for either direct mounting to a flat surface, or to go into a 10" SOHO cabinet.

If it is indeed 19", you could buy a small open-fronted rack for around £25. Around 5 years ago I purchased a couple of these that were around 200mm in depth and 4U (176mm) in height from a company called Minitran. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find such a product on their web site any more.

I found a vendor on ebay that was selling cabinets fairly cheap. It's now sitting out the way and keeps my equipment together: View media item 31023
I'd have been stuffed fixing everything in place with the amount of times I've switched parts round.

I found a vendor on ebay that was selling cabinets fairly cheap. It's now sitting out the way and keeps my equipment together: View media item 31023
I'd have been stuffed fixing everything in place with the amount of times I've switched parts round.

Whats that device at the bottom? Some kind of server or NAS?

Looks like a Soekris, ALIX, or similar type board in a rack case. The lack of RS232 or USB port on the panel is unusual for such a board though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back