Patches of old removed paint showing through new Paint.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I decided to decorate the small box bedroom in my house as it had not been done for years!

As a first step I stripped and sanded the bedroom door smooth with an electric sander after having to scrape some bits. The door I think is wood with a type of hardboard covering. The house was built in the lates 60's. I got a can of Leyland Trade Gloss Paint Brilliant White 2.5Ltr from Screwfix as it was on sale. I have given it about two coats with a roller but you can still see shapes of bits that were scraped showing through.

Any advice? thanks

Sponsored Links
Is it showing through by colour or by being raised / dented?

If its the level, I can only assume that it wasn't sanded completely flat, or that remaining sections of paint have started to lift after being subjected to the new paint. Did you use chemical stripper? If any residue remains, it can start to loosen underneath the new surface. The only fix I'm aware of for that is to sand it right back or do the entire door with chemical paint stripper.

If its the colour, give it a coat of Zinsser 123.

Needed an undercoat. Treat gloss and as a clear product (see through)

Surfaces should be perfect (good as you can get) and undercoated ready for gloss

Sponsored Links
I have decided to get paint stripper and start again when I can go to the shops again. Thanks :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back