Pay for Telly in Hospital

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just come out of hospital this evening. Been there all flamin day! I've had a terrible cough for 10 days. Coughing up phlegm with blood! (just speckles). Chest Xray showed a 'shadow'. They're hoping (not as much as me!), it's just pneumonia which I had in October 2008 (I coughed some blood that time too). Have to take Antibiotics and go back in 6 weeks time for another Xray to see if 'shadow' has gone/reduced. Hope so! :confused: I don't and have never smoked by the way.

Anyway, was just sitting here thinking, why do we have to pay for telly in hospital and yet if we get locked up in one of HMs prisons we'd get it free! I know some people don't need TV in hospital (some are so poorly they'd never notice), but some in there are compus mentis and the boredom really cannot be good for recuperation. I'm not saying telly is the answer to that, it's just the 'paying for TV' thing when naughty boys and girls get it for nowt that is peeing me off!

On another note, because I was sent up there by my GP this morning, I took the car....... I had to pay nearly eight quid for the pleasure of parking my car!!! Do visitors to prisons have to pay to park? I'd not be surprised if they don't!

Sponsored Links
All I can say about hospitals is, Pay for TV and parking is a rip off,
I never pay to park, but have paid for the TV service for my dear Mum and my Mrs when she was bad, I don't agree that you should have to, but if it's a comfort, I felt duty bound.
Anyway Blas, I hope all goes well with the results and it's nothing serious.

Do some burglary and get sentenced. While your inside, let them sort your health out. Simples

Sponsored Links
:LOL: :LOL: I liked the idea Dex.... until Prentice posted! :oops: :confused: :LOL:

It's just not right though is it? Even more so the 'pay to park' for the privilege of seeing your ill (sometimes dying! :confused: ), relatives. That really cannot be right in any way surely!

I think when it comes to parking, and the patient is going to be in for a while, there should be a visitors pass for the car park.

I agree blas - kick a man when he's down eh?
Wouldn't be so bad apart from the fact that most of the land for parking either is or was publicly owned anyway - thus we've paid for it!

As for hospital TV, if you're in there for some time, it's nearly cheaper to get a satellite dish installed. And don't get me goin on telephone tarriffs - they're having a laugh

I think when it comes to parking, and the patient is going to be in for a while, there should be a visitors pass for the car park.
Surprised they haven't got around to charging sick people in ambulances a fee when they pull up outside A&E - 60p for 15mins and no returning for 2 hours :confused:

yep i agree,and my local hospital has just increased the parking fees,
amazing how other areas of the country get free parking etc.and others have to pay.

the tv is an utter rip off,but using the phone thats attached to it is EVEN WORSE.

Good point.....! Why can't we use our mobiles in there then? I must have seen 10 doctors wondering around various areas today all on their mobiles! So this line they give us that 'it interferes with the machines'.... is that just 'our' mobiles that do that? Do doctors get given 'special' mobiles? I'm inclined to think not!

I remember it being something like 50p a minute to call in, never mind out and I'd paid for the service :evil:
Last time I was in for a while I asked the nurses if I could use my mobile.... the answer? 'Yeah but not when I'm in here'! And there were umpteen different machines attached to me and the other 5 blokes in that ward! No one died! No one came running to find out why the machines weren't working properly! Is there actually a reason? A real, genuine reason why mobiles shouldn't be used? If so, why is it ok for the docs to use mobiles?

In the words of max bygraves - let me tell you a story.

Our second child was in a hurry to be born, thus I had to rush my wife into hospital (labour started at 7.45 and baby was at er, "point of exit" at 9 and born 9.15).

So got there, parked on the hatched area by the main entrance to maternity (but not obstructing access which is plenty wide). Ran in to get help - nurse with porter and wheel chair. Accompanied them up to the ward. Ran back downstairs to move car to car park 100 yards away (so car had only been left unattended for less than 10 mins) - ticketed for £60 fine.

Tried to appeal, and in spite of them seeing the course of events unfold on the CCTV, appeal was turned down. :confused:

I'm not sure, must be a bit more strict in your area, my dads been quite poorly on and off for about the last two years, there was never a problem with him using his mobile.

Sponsored Links
Back