Paying in or cashing a cheque

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello: Recently, I received a refund from a company (in the UK). Because of physical infirmity and lack of transport, It is extremely difficult for me to go out, so my wife, being taken near to a Post Office by our son in his car, offered to pay it into her account, then give me the money in cash. It was a "Company Cheque", with the name of the company in big letters printed on the cheque. I signed it on the reverse, and thought that that would be OK. My wife placed the cheque in the envelope provided by the Post Office, and handed it over the counter.
A day or two later, the cheque was returned with a letter saying that the name of the payee, and the name of the bank account, did not match and that it could not be paid in.
I was under the impression that my endorsement would make the cheque payable to an account that was different than my own. Did the bank fail to see my signature, or what? Would my wife have been able to use the cheque as a "Pay Bearer" cheque, if she had simply tried to obtain cash for it over the counter?
With thanks in advance, for any helpful replies,
L.L.

Sponsored Links
If a cheque is "crossed" with "A/C Payee" then you can't do what you want. They almost all are.
Have you got a banking app with your bank account? Most of them let you pay cheques in through the app by just taking a photo of the cheque.
This clears the matter up, Justin. It will need to go into my own account when I can go into town.

Mottie, I knew about what you mention, but my bank does not allow this, even though I do online banking.
Thanks for the swift replies, folks.
L.L.

Sponsored Links
With Barclays, you can pay in cheques upto £500 using the app simply taking a photo of it. Check your bank who may offer similar

Nozzle

With Barclays, you can pay in cheques upto £500 using the app simply taking a photo of it. Check your bank who may offer similar

Nozzle
It’s 4 cheques of up to £1,000 each in any seven days.

Jeezus! If I get one cheque per year now I'm pushing it. Who the fudge uses cheques now anyway?

People who don't trust you.

Andy

Jeezus! If I get one cheque per year now I'm pushing it. Who the fudge uses cheques now anyway?
My bloody Mother in Law! Doesn't do online banking, doesn't like giving her card number over the phone so we often have to buy stuff for her and she writes us a cheque!

This clears the matter up, Justin. It will need to go into my own account when I can go into town.

Mottie, I knew about what you mention, but my bank does not allow this, even though I do online banking.
Thanks for the swift replies, folks.
L.L.

I don't see why you have to go into town. You can put the cheque in an envelope and post it to your bank. They will probably send you a book of paying in slips if you ask.

I don't see why you have to go into town. You can put the cheque in an envelope and post it to your bank. They will probably send you a book of paying in slips if you ask.

If your bank still has a letterbox, Barclays in St Austell doesn't, having unsuccessfully tried putting a cheque though their door 2 years ago we ended up posting it, seems the postman had as much luck as we had. 2 months later we persuaded the customer to go into his bank to arrange a transfer, it was only a couple of hundred quid so no big deal.

They will probably send you a book of paying in slips if you ask.

:) :) :)

Standing joke with mates weddings etc give present as a cheque that way if they lose it they still remember you gave them a present and your quids in ;)

If you take the cheque, plus a paying-in slip for an account of that name, to the post office, they will accept it. No need to endorse it or try to pay it into somebody else's account.

I wonder which bank you are using? During Boris's lockdown (while he was partying) my local branch had a sign in the window giving the address to post cheques to, with a paying-in slip.

I found various banks instructions online just now, here is an example of where to post a cheque.

Sponsored Links
Back