People who only believe lies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Durhamplumber is a luddite quitter, blindly following his buddies down the three ferrets.
Oh come on.

It's 'Durhamplumber is a Northern luddite quitter,'.
Let you off, I guess it was just a blip! :) :)

I rather wonder if this shift in politics in the UK is worse than Brexit.

I agree. Brexit is just a symptom. Worse yet to come. Will probably get called a crybaby remoaner snowflake for that comment.

Sponsored Links
Focusing on the original post for a moment... swapping the lies word for fiction...
Does it make a difference?
A lie is fiction presented as fact.

What about religious people?
What about them?

I know plenty of people who hold down successful professional jobs while believing the universe is approx 6,000 years old and was constructed in around a week.
Do those beliefs have any relevance to their work?

If they consider or demand their workforce to comply with fictional religious requirements then they are, indeed, misguided and should be prevented from so doing.

A lie is knowingly presenting fiction as fact. Someone who does not believe it’s fiction is not lying.

the OP was asking how such people cope in the world. Many people believe things which may not be true and cope just fine.

A lie is knowingly presenting fiction as fact. Someone who does not believe it’s fiction is not lying.
Ok. So, if that distinction is still valid, then it is impossible to accuse anyone of lying.
If they say things that are not true, we must still conclude they are either lying or ignorant.

Is there a word for promoting fiction that is wrongly believed to be true?

the OP was asking how such people cope in the world. Many people believe things which may not be true and cope just fine.
I am the OP - indeed, ignorance is bliss but they pìss off everyone else.

Ok. So, if that distinction is still valid, then it is impossible to accuse anyone of lying.
If they say things that are not true, we must still conclude they are either lying or ignorant.

Is there a word for promoting fiction that is wrongly believed to be true?

I am the OP - indeed, ignorance is bliss but they pìss off everyone else.
Get over yourself...Half the world believe in god.half do not...Half the world is living a lie...grow up

Sure, but what is the truth.

Claim: Due to poor food hygiene in the USA food poisoning rates are about 10 times higher than the UK? Fact? Well reported food poisoning incidences are indeed about 10x the UK, so a fact, yes?

Claim: Post brexit the UK government spent £500m ordering new passports to be blue ones? Fact?

Well, they're both sort of facts.

The UK does indeed have 10x less reported food poisoning incidents than the US. But the methods of reporting are different between the 2, they aren't consistent across the EU.

£500m spent on blue passports post brexit, again true, but the design was up for it's 10 year review anyway, and as there has never been any requirement by the EU for passports to be burgundy, it just so happens that the redesign cost, well £500m, but I guess that didn't fit the narrative.

So, regardless of where your facts come from, they could be very misleading.

Yes, but as you say, that the EU made us have burgundy passports is not true, so people who used that as one of their reasons for being anti-EU were not telling the truth.

I think people want to believe what they want to believe. It makes them comfortable. Reading material that suits those beliefs, hanging out with like minded people. No amount of reason can sway some people, they're happy in their bubble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back