Pergola - Fixing to the ground

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I’m planning to build a Pergola in a corner of my garden as a support for Wisteria and am considering how to fix it to the ground.

It will be a free standing Pergola with 4 legs and about 8ft square in size.

Obviously I could just concrete the legs into the ground like a fence but was thinking of other options that would make it easier to move or repair the Pergola in the future especially if the supports eventually rot away.

How about concreting steel fence post supports into the ground and then simply inserting the posts?

The posts might wobble a little in these supports but I assume that once assembled the 4 legs and structure of the Pergola should make it firm and stable.

Perhaps even easier how about burying 4 pre-made concrete blocks in the ground and then attach the posts to these using steel brackets and concrete bolts. Since the Pergola is an open structure that doesn't catch the wind too much, would this be enough to hold it in place?

Finally how about just using post spikes with no concrete, would these be strong enough?

Your advice is appreciated :)

Sponsored Links
Post spikes are a quick fix IMO not a long term solution, the concrete blocks buried in ground is over engineering the solution which leaves burying the posts in concrete or attaching to spurs.

Spurs will protect the wood above ground but the overall appearance will be compromised.

I would be minded to bury direct in concrete using treated timber, the whole appearance of the pergola will change significantly within a few years in any case.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back