Peugeot 206 HDi 2.0 engine problem

No perceptible difference in sounds with clutch in or out.
Weather forecast tomorrow looks promising for fiddle tim

Sponsored Links
Well that didn't go very well.
Started the engine and could hear a knock which I had the impression came from the cambelt end near the top. Used the screwdriver in the ear trick to locate where it was coming from without success. The cam sounded like it was working properly along its length. The knock suddenly disappeared after about 10 minutes which I thought was probably due to the engine warming up. I went to the back of the car to check the exhaust outlet, There appeared to be a small amount of white smoke. My initial thought was it was unburnt diesel but it was water vapour confirmed by the liquid in the tail pipe - neighbours gas central heating was on with water vapour evident in the exhaust. Whilst at the rear, the engine suddenly stopped.
Tried to start it again but the starter motor was struggling to turn it over.

All the time there was an exaggerated movement of the engine on its mountings when it was running. Forgot to mention before but during the original incident the four rubber mountings for the top plastic engine cover were ripped from the top of the engine.

Thanks for all your suggestions but I have decided to call it a day.

Sounds like the head gasket, unusual for those engines. The knock was probably due to water in one or more cylinders. Shame, its doable but a lot of work.

Peter

The mystery deepens....the fluid levels were reported to be ok but I do agree it initially felt like the engine was tightening due to heat.
John :)

Sponsored Links
I had a C5 with a similar engine John and every now and again it would make a loud knocking noise, then it would go away until one day the car dissapeared in a huge fog and emptied the contents of the cooling system through the exhaust. I never did investigate why, someone bought it off me for the leather interior but I suspect the head was cracked - first one I had.

Peter

Back