PHEW!

Why not? I can get trade discount too.

That is fair enough if you can get trade discount though, as you need that as part of your business costs, if a tradesperson.
But seems unfair that a tradesperson must pay for dumping even a couple bags of building waste, which then the cost has to be passed onto the customer, who potentially could have gone to the local recycling centre for free, bar the price of petrol travelling there.
Just seems an added tax for anyone employing a trade.

Sponsored Links
But seems unfair that a tradesperson must pay for dumping
Eh? It would be (incredibly) stupid of the tradesman not to include (costs) the removal of site generated spoil and waste, in his quote.
Poundland jobbing skip dippers should learn how to quote.

We are trade so we should pay... I've cheated in the past but I'm more than happy to pay to take it to a commercial tip. I give the customer the option

Sponsored Links
That is fair enough if you can get trade discount though, as you need that as part of your business costs, if a tradesperson.
But seems unfair that a tradesperson must pay for dumping even a couple bags of building waste, which then the cost has to be passed onto the customer, who potentially could have gone to the local recycling centre for free, bar the price of petrol travelling there.
Just seems an added tax for anyone employing a trade.

Not round here; rubble, soil, plasterboard etc is all chargeable, and expensively so.
I reuse the little 20kg bags that stuff like sand and slate chippings come in, for bits of waste that I take to the tip.
IIRC, a bag that size of rubble, plasterboard, or the like, is £4 or £5.
Makes little DIY jobs a ball ache, so you end up storing the stuff until it's worth getting a skip. Or, in my case, just storing it up forever.....

No. If you do your job properly, then the customer ALWAYS pays.

I didnt make myself clear..
The money comes from my account
I did however say that I give the customer the option. Of course the customer pays

Eh? It would be (incredibly) stupid of the tradesman not to include (costs) the removal of site generated spoil and waste, in his quote.
Poundland jobbing skip dippers should learn how to quote.
its a big cost when doing foundations -especially when the trench has to go down 2.5m or more -a job can easily get through 10 skips, thats over £2k. I know grab lorries are cheaper, but they cant be used on some sites due to access issues. I tended to quote based on skips, then where a grab could be used, Id gain a bit.

its a big cost when doing foundations -especially when the trench has to go down 2.5m or more -a job can easily get through 10 skips, thats over £2k. I know grab lorries are cheaper, but they cant be used on some sites due to access issues. I tended to quote based on skips, then where a grab could be used, Id gain a bit.
We had 20+ grabs on a job in Burton as well as skips. I hired a large Ro-Ro bin for all of the messy junk and it came to £1300 alone.:eek:

Yeah, I remember that story. This story proves that these rules are more about revenue generation. It is quite obvious that the waste is not commercial. They are basically saying that if the non-commercial waste was in a (say) Tesco carrier bag, he would have been OK. I would relish my day in court and appeal to the judges common sense.
When our bedroom ceiling was taken down (by family), we took part of it to the tip before lockdown. We had to attest that we had removed the ceiling (not a contractor). If tradesmen generate waste, they must remove it. It is illegal to put your waste into the customer's bin.

Yeah, I remember that story. This story proves that these rules are more about revenue generation. It is quite obvious that the waste is not commercial. They are basically saying that if the non-commercial waste was in a (say) Tesco carrier bag, he would have been OK. I would relish my day in court and appeal to the judges common sense.
When our bedroom ceiling was taken down (by family), we took part of it to the tip before lockdown. We had to attest that we had removed the ceiling (not a contractor). If tradesmen generate waste, they must remove it. It is illegal to put your waste into the customer's bin.

What about if the customer put it in their bin?

Well, thinking back to the questions we were asked at the tip, we were allowed to tip the waste if we had generated it. So, on that basis, if the tradesperson generated the waste, they should remove it.

Sponsored Links
Back