Physics Question

Of course it would be INSTANT because the mass responsible for the gravity disappeared in an INSANT.

If you think that is false then you are saying that gravity can exist in the universe without the corresponding mass that created it - it cannot.

Sponsored Links
Its not happened so we will never know.

Joe is right about mass and gravity, that is school boy science. But how will we know what happens to gravity when the sun vanishes instantly? we wont.

A mass in space distorts the lines of space if you like, causing a gravitational field, remove the mass and lines of space return to their original state...but scientists are split bewteen how long it would take for these lines to restore. Immediately or gradually.

Its something we may never know, we can just guess at.

We all know that none of the stars in the night sky are where we see them. Many aren't even in existence any more. The reason for that is that once a photon is ejected into space it is totally separate from the body that created it. Like a bullet from a gun - once it is fired it is separate. No-one doubts that as there are infinite examples of that.

Gravity is different. There are no known examples of gravity separate from the body that created it - not one.

If it were possible then there would be example in abundance - just like long exploded stars.

Therefore, the safest conclusion is that gravity cannot exist in isolation - so, when the sun disappears - so does its gravity.

It can't happen in our universe - but if it could - then that is the way that it would pan out.

If you disagree - then prove me wrong.

Sponsored Links
And never will so we use our intellect to gauge the most likely outcome.

Take that mass away and the gravity zone has gone with it.

And so that leads us to the OP's question the one that all of us have been banging on about.

DOES THE EFFECT OF SUDDEN GRAVITY LOSS OF ONE BODY HAVE AN INSTANT EFFECT ON DISTANT PLANETS OR DOES IT TAKE TIME?

Joe, you said the effects would be INSTANT.

No one is disputing the relationship betwixt mass and gravity are they.

I beg to differ nose all, the original question was

If the Sun was to completely disappear in an instant, gone poof, nothing there, we would notice the light had gone out in the 8 1/2 minutes approx it takes for light to travel here, my question is, how soon after the Sun has disappeared would the lack of the Suns gravitational pull take effect?

I think he meant how long before the effects would be felt here on earth
Joe replied instantly, so whats wrong with that?

I'm in the instant camp too,or almost, certainly not 8 and a half minutes, though I suppose you could argue that we might not notice anything amiss till the sun suddenly disappeared, but that's just my belief and as the speed of gravity has never been measured and proved then nobody can say for certain, there is not enough known about gravity

what is known, is that gravity seemingly has no Aberration as does light, so therefore it must either travel much faster then light or be an instantaneous force or there must be some other reason that planets maintain their orbits

And never will so we use our intellect to gauge the most likely outcome.

That true, but intellect is still split amongst some of the worlds top scientists on gravity. Fact is, we will never, ever know.

Some people will argue it is instant, and show evidence that could back it up. Some will argue it will be gradual (or take 8.5 minutes) and show evidence that could back that up.

Hopefully it wont happen when i'm around!

There is no evidence that gravity travels like a photon. Your body creates gravity - tell me where. Why are gravitons not accumulative? Where do spent gravitons go to?

Use Occams Razor and you will find that you are in agreement with me.

There is no evidence that gravity travels like a photon. Your body creates gravity - tell me where. Why are gravitons not accumulative? Where do spent gravitons go to?

Use Occams Razor and you will find that you are in agreement with me.

Gravitons are similar to photons, only diference is we know photons exist. We dont know of gravitons do, and no test has ever found they do exist...they are more complex than the Higgs Boson...and they still dont believe they have found that yet!

Edited for having fat fingers!

fermi_bison.gif

One of these might belong to higgs :D

Of course it would be INSTANT because the mass responsible for the gravity disappeared in an INSANT.

If you think that is false then you are saying that gravity can exist in the universe without the corresponding mass that created it - it cannot.

But you said earlier you have not denied gravity travels at the speed of light. Either it is the speed of light or it is instantaneous.

You are keeping up the instantaneous bit, but if gravity = speed of light it will take TIME, one or the other.

Yeah Joe i'm confused about your stance to.

Are you instant or filtered.....er.. i mean delayed?

Sponsored Links
Back